HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Engine boring How much can it go

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bluedevil
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 3:27 pm    Post subject: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

I know every one knows this and that about it so how far can the 1600 be bored out (maxium Size) Please and what does it become at its maxium boring size can u fit 2 Litre pistons like I've heard some where on the forum
Also I know there is bit about it in the workshop but I think there is more people out there that know more about this sort of thing than whats on that thanks.
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

my 1600 has a 216 thou overbore (1803cc) its very close to water jackets, and so too the cyliner walls, so i cant imagine it going much further, the people on here who have seen the pics of the motor without the head know what im talkin about...
cheers,
kev
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

on my old g180 i had it boared out (to aprox 2 liter) and there was about 5mm between cylinders
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

just go the g200, and bore it only one size bigger.

chris.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

oh, coz if u bore it 2 the max, ure bottom end karks it, u can't go shaving shit one size bigger, coz the'll be no more shit 2 shave, it'll get 2 thin, then u'll have to get another block, and spend the big bucks to do it to the max again.

chris.
Mark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

I dont know everything, but i have seen a 1600 block bored to take 40thou over 2 litre pistons, ie 88mm (240thou) and it has hit the water jackets. Im told 2 litre pistons do fit, but you have heaps of overheating problems and they arent really all that strong. Recommend 40thou over 1800 pistons as parts are plentiful and you're not in danger territory,
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

as i said 216 thou overbore, g200 pistons, my car runs cool... i believe its a matter of workmanship/quality of work etc.

cheers,
kev
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 12:17 am    Post subject: Re: Engine boring How much can it go Reply with quote

does the reliability factor come into any of this at all, cause i wanna bore mine out i wanna know whats best for reliability and performance, like such u might b able 2 bore a 1600 2 2L but how reliable will it be, will it shit itself next month?

chris...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: