HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Cuttin springs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xcessus
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:22 pm    Post subject: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

I know its wrong but would it be okay if i cut out an inch or so so it would like drop an inch? that shouldnt make the car go all weird should it?
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

Yes it does make it go all weird they were designed to hold a certain weight in the air and off the chassis but its up to you what you want to do if your going to cut a inch you may as well cut 2 inches off it will still soften the spring no matter how much you cut off..

cheers
Xcessus
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

nah i have decided to just go for the lowered springs so i know that they will be safe but thanks anyway dude
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

has anyone got their springs reset to sit lower?

is it worth looking into or not
FJ20DET
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

a mate had it done on his commodore, and they ended up lowering the car 1.5 inchs but made the ride bumpy and springy. easyer to get lowered ones
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

hey man id strongly advise for u not to chop ya springs if u do a search u will notice it litrally snaps the car in half if your not carfull seriously do the search b4 u do the chopen k
cheers anyway
TCISM
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

i chopped the fuk outta my springs and have had no probs....it only gets dangerous if ya car get airborne coz the springs aren't captive. if your car leaves the ground the springs will literally fall out, if you jack your car up the will fall out etc etc, but you could just go down to pedders or something and get RIPPED HARD, and they wont be able to guarentee that the springs will be captive with shortened shockes anyway. Also pedders will only lower it to legal spex, unless directed otherwise, in which case you will have no warranty and the springs defintaly wont be captive. Just cut 'em and have it stting dumped coz legal height looks shit. I cut 2 1/2 coils off the back and 2 off the front, but i'm gonna take another half off the back, it sits on its ass and looks fuckin mad.
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

is ure gem in the gallery?
Getafix
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

ok, well i was watching the New Zealand show, Highway Patrol or whatever a few weeks back, they had a Honda Prelude on a highway, in the wet, going too fast (not by much), he lost it, rear ended a corolla and sent it into a bridge pylon, killing the driver. Guess what, it had chopped springs, so low the wheels scrubbed the wheel well on the inside till they were pretty much bald, but inspection from the outside they looked fine.
I agree low cars look good, but seriously guys it isnt worth it.

-dave
TG 1985
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Cuttin springs Reply with quote

u can lower ure car a bit, but not so u got ure ass scraping along the groung, i think ppl should only lower their cars about 2" and no more, just so it sits nice and even. and neva chop springs, cos if u have an accident, and kill some1 on chopped springs, i reckon they would wack u in jail or somfin for manslaughter or woteva it's called.

chris.
zzz
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2002 8:43 pm    Post subject: chopped springs=bad news Reply with quote

chopped springs = no insurance if you crash
f@#k's the handling i had a mate with chopped springs
and i thought it was crap dont be a tight ass buy the lowered springs by the way i only paid $700 for shocks and springs and it including fitting just shop around
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: chopped springs=bad news Reply with quote

Finally we got some people in here with there heads screwed on i got into so many arguements about the risks of chopped springs in this fukin forum because people were stupid and didnt listen to reason.. I think there is still a few of the old boys in here that can tell you the in depth arguing even to the point engineering ADR points got involved..
not to mention chassis cracking and bending
TCISM
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: chopped springs=bad news Reply with quote

each to their own i guess, i dont have a problem with cuttin 'em, coz the truth of the matter is that my gem is just a stocker tc with calibra wheels, it's fairly clean, but i'll be danmed if i go out and pay $700 to lower the thing when an angle grinder cost me $40, and about the insurance thing, all i can say is that i went down to thewreckers and bought duplicates and cut those, if anything bad should happen-and touch wood it dont- then i'll change em back over. Fuck the insurance companies, RACV said the wouldnt even insure me coz of the rims, so i told them that i dont have them on, insuranceco's are a bunch of tight ass cunts.
Look, i'm not telling people they have to cut them, but i'm just saying that i have not, and freinds of mine have not had any probs with cut springs, and some of the guys have cut 3 1/2 coils off the back of their commos with 17's.
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Oct 21, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: chopped springs=bad news Reply with quote

I am thinking about getting the welding torch out and heating up the springs so that they sink down. what do u guys think?

About insurance, try just car insurance. i am paying about $370 for 3rd party and for all of their different types of insurance they don't mind what modifications you make as long as you let them know what they are. These guys are mad, better than that AAMI bullshit.

good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: