HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

rollcage fot tx gemini
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
245ci TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:11 pm    Post subject: rollcage fot tx gemini Reply with quote

has anyone fitted a roll cage to any model gemini and has pics or plans i could look at thanks
CRAFT
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 4:33 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcage fot tx gemini Reply with quote

I have made a custom roll cage for a tx coupe and fitted it myself. I ghave made several other's and fitted them to all diffrent models.

I have pics but not sure how much of the cage you can see. It's just a 4 point cage is that what you are after?

See pics of my car http://www.doghouse.gronks.com/The%20Gem.htm
245ci TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcage fot tx gemini Reply with quote

Thanks craft i will check it out
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: heres my 6 point roll cage... Reply with quote

its just sitting in there at the moment

http://groups.msn.com/nismogemini/progressphotos.msnw
jims
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcage fot tx gemini Reply with quote

I have a 7 point (full) Bonds cage in my TX. Rear bars bolt through the parcel shelf, middle ones at the seatbelt mounts and the front to brackets that need to be welded in. I have a large 3mm plate welded under the car at all the points to strengthen it and a 3mm parcel shelf. It is a rally car and the strength is needed. If you just place the cage in with no reinfocement, it is very easy, but if you are in a rollover, the cage is not much use. I have seen cages go through the floor when the car hits the roof on the ground. You will be very lucky to walk out of the car then. So, it depends for what reasons you put the cage in the car. You also need to get it engineered, so your engineer will tell you what needs to be done. If you want a full cage, it will be hard to get it through the engineer without going through the dashboard, have the sun visors, fully padded and not obstructing any of the view. My advice, unless you are racing the car, go for a rear half cage, a few hours work !
245ci TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:23 pm    Post subject: Re: heres my 6 point roll cage... Reply with quote

i need a cage that will support the chassis to reduce twist as i am fitting a 245ci hemi so i need a rigid chassis for engineering cert
245ci TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: rollcage fot tx gemini Reply with quote

I am fitting a 245 hemi 6cyl to my tx so it will be a street/strip car and the extra power will twist the body so i need support also i am goin to make it a two seater by welding up the back doors
jims
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: heres my 6 point roll cage... Reply with quote

Do you want street rego on that ????
Whatever the reason to do this is, you need more than a just a roll cage. I think that you need to work closely with the engineer as you will need a lot more mods. In NSW there is no way of registering this type of mod, unless it is an individully constructed vehicle, which means that you have to comply with current ADR's, vertually impossible.
g161stroker
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: heres my 6 point roll cage... Reply with quote

thats some nice role-cage action but im sure here in vic anyway that its illegal to have 6pt roleys as u can hit ur head on them or somthin, i may be wrong but correct me if i am, does anyone have a plan for a 5pt for a wagon id like one of these when i get my car
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:27 pm    Post subject: Re: heres my 6 point roll cage... Reply with quote

i have a half cge in my coupe
tis alloy and looks very simple
tis a hoop with two bits to the rear parcel shelf
and on tha goes to the floor
245ci TX
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: heres my 6 point roll cage... Reply with quote

The motor is out of a 76 valiant so same emissions laws should apply i am in vic so i have no idea but we are just using a spare shell i have sitting around as a test bed but i know that if i even look at rego i need to have rigid chassis so any other ideas any one
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: heres my 6 point roll cage... Reply with quote

u wonnt get it regoed. the engin size is to big for the car.
why do people go to the trouble with out resurcing 1st??
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: engine not to big. Reply with quote

CHRIS WRITES
u wonnt get it regoed. the engin size is to big for the car.
why do people go to the trouble with out resurcing 1st??

what makes you think that chris???

Mate go for it, well done for moving out of the square people live in, BUT seek engineers advise if you want to get it regoed, and it can be done trust me I know, if you would like some pics of a full cage in a TE let me know.

leave your email addy and I'll send you some..

word of advice though mate put some sub frame connectors in
your car to stop the additional twist of the body..

cheers
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:52 pm    Post subject: Re: engine not to big. Reply with quote

hey leroy hows the gemini looking?
u finished ur rebuild too?
chris
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:57 pm    Post subject: Re: engine not to big. Reply with quote

yeah anything is possable after $1000's spent on engineering alone ;P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: