HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Which cam?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Which cam? Reply with quote

which would be the better choice for a cam for my 1.8
35/75
44/78
i want a car that will be still be good to drive round the streets and i want the engine to be reliable but still have plenty of HP,
is the 44/78 a reliable cam or would the 35/75 be a better pick?

cheerz
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Which cam? Reply with quote

u will prbly find thta a 44 will be to chunky for road use so go wit the 35. it will be more reliable
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 11:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Which cam? Reply with quote

why would the 44 it b too chunky 4 the rd, roughly how much do reground cams cost. whats the difference between a 44 and 35 cam?

chris...
Mooch
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 2:53 am    Post subject: background! Reply with quote

Well theres no point in picking a big lift and duration cam if ur stock head wont flow the mix now is there? u'll actually lose power by going too big a cam. Building a motor is about making the right components work together. No point having all this big name hypo gear if it's matched incorrectly!

I'd suggest getting ur head done, or atleast flowed, and from there sit down and choose the appropriate cam. Websites like crow cams (www.crowcams.com.au) have a questionaire that will aid in ur choice. Better still find urself a mechanic/engine builder like mine who has a "desk top dyno."

We actually found that even with a fairly extensively worked over 1800 head, the slightly "smaller" cam in the crow range made the same hp and torque, but 1200rpm lower in the rpm range. Therefore increasing reliability and drivability. Its 284deg durat. & 425thou lift. Fairly mild but it drives nicley and with the G200 is really torquey.

Do some background wk before jumping in the deepend. For a streeter u're better off with low down torque and a usable power band below 6000rpm.

Cheers
Mooch
www.geocities.com/mygemi
Greg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: background! Reply with quote

Hey Mooch, you said its a good cam for the G200. Is that with some headwork or as a stocker?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: