HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

mdf shelf

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 11:03 pm    Post subject: mdf shelf Reply with quote

i already have some 7X10's mounted directly onto the rear shelf (ie straight into the shelf), would a set of speaker pods give better sound if they were made from mdf of a decent thickness?cheers.
peteymate
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 5:23 am    Post subject: Re: mdf shelf Reply with quote

you are better off cutting the parcel tray and mounting them into it otherwise u dont get any bass response from them cos they have no pressure to work against.
NeWaZ
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: mdf shelf Reply with quote

the speakers are designed to run in a free air application so you are definately better off with them in the parcel shelf (more bass response)

one thing you could do, if you haven't already done so, is to create a new parcel shelf using 18mm mdf which will greatly reduce resonance from the speakers and give a better sound all round

cheers

NeWaZ
MR_GEMI
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: mdf shelf Reply with quote

here is another way that you could also do it...

get some nice looking pods (prefferably custom), mount them over the existing holes in the parcel shelf allowing the speakers to make full use of the boot space.

i had rockford fosgate 6X9s in my gem set up the same sort of way, and the bass quality was increadible for 6X9s, just ask matt bywaters he will tell ya what they sounded like mounted this way...

cheers,
kev
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: mdf shelf Reply with quote

the thing is that that holes BELOW the pods need to be big otherwise there is no air for the speakers to run in
goons hired goons
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: mdf shelf Reply with quote

yeah good work kev thats exactly what i meant- theyre already in the parcel shelf (ie big holes cut out)- i figured some solid pods would look better than a raised parcel shelf thats all plus sound better than just being screwed into the shelf.cheers anyway boys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: