HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Spigot Bearing??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:43 pm    Post subject: Spigot Bearing?? Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
Puttin my clutch in this weekend with my dad, had a look at the workshop article and noticed about the spigot bearing, so when i went and got the clutch kit today i ordered a spigot bearing too, was only like 10 bucks. But anyway, where exactly does it go? Is it behind the flywheel? How do i get it out? Is there anything special i have to do to put the new one back in?

Oh yeah, one other thing, any opinions on Daikin clutches? I got the standard kit, heard they are pretty good, just want some reassurance.
edgie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Spigot Bearing?? Reply with quote

on the gearbox in front of the lever thingy it press
up against the diafram fingers when ya push the clutch
in also i think daikin clutchs are ok the mechanic down
the road used the plus i scored a daikin australia hat

yay edgie
efipsi
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Spigot Bearing?? Reply with quote

edgie is wrong thats a thrust bearing that he's talking about. This shoud also be replaced just for good measue. It gives you the shits when they start making noises.
Sorry to put such a downer on things but my experiences with daiken clutches is that they are a pack of pricks.
When I spoke to them and had them make a clutch to suit my efi turbo gemini they said no worries two months later when the peice of shit was stuffed they told me that the clutch had being doing high speed engine braking (which was a crock of shit)and refusued to replace it.
When I had the clamping force checked by a professional we dicovered that my arse had more clamping force then there high performane clutch. But thats only my experience!!!
jims
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Spigot Bearing?? Reply with quote

The spigot bearing sits inside the rear of the crankshaft. It holds the front of the main shaft of the gearbox where the clutch plate and thrust bearing slide on. It is accessable without having to pull the flywheel off. You need a small bearing puller with an opening of less than 15mm to pull on the inside of the bearing. They are around $50 and you can also get one from a push-bike shop as they also use them for removing the rear bearings from bike wheels. Not sure if there are any other ways of removing the bearing but with the right puller it takes only 5 minutes.

You should also replace the thrust bearing which normally comes with a clutch kit anyway.
edgie
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Spigot Bearing?? Reply with quote

ooopps wrong bearing
efipsi
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Spigot Bearing?? Reply with quote

Sorry I forgot to explain about the spigot bearing removal.
Just one other thing. there are two different spigot bearings depending on weather you have a fine or course spline gearbox. Make sure you check the new bearing fits the input shaft on your box befor you punch it into place. Then check it is still spinning using your finger after it's back in...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: