HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Head Gasket...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 4:06 am    Post subject: Head Gasket... Reply with quote

G'day, i'm in the process of getting a new 'Monotorque' (ACL) head gasket fitted to my G200. After reading the workshop article, i may have a go at doing it myself. Due to working 6 days a week, and having just the one mode of transportation to and from work, it may not be the the most practical option for me due to time and transport restrictions. I got a few quotes off some head reconditioners and the lowest was ??? $625 all the way up to $800 ??? They told me that i needed the valve seats to be re-seated (re-ground), new valve stem seals, shave, pessure test, acid bath, etc. etc... The head was recoed 8 months ago so i dont see any need for any of this work beside a skim to make sure the head is true and straight.
Can anyone enlighten me as to why all this extra wallet munching work seems to be a necessary with these guy's ?? I explained that the head and bottom end was completely re-built to brand new specs in January but it apparently didn't matter to them... ???
In case anyone was wondering why the head gasket has already almost blown in 8 months, it's coz of the amount of revs i give the poor thing... well, that and the fact that my room-mate has racked up 160,000 kays since Jan... Ahhh, the joys of having female house-mates : o S
Anyway, what was my point?.... Oh yeah, is this extra work necessary and why? And more impotantly, does anyone know a decent workshop on the Gold Coast that can carry out this job reputably and at a much lower cost due to only wanting the basic remove, skim, refit.? Around $200 was my estimate on a job this basic, but i'd be prepared to pay closer to $300 if necesarry. I just need it done A.S.A.P so i dont have to worry about it leeting go on me completely.
Cheers for your help,
Jasyn...
CyBeR GeM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 1:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket... Reply with quote

if u give the engine a bit of shit id suggest you get the head redone....it will save you time and money.
mudman
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2002 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Head Gasket... Reply with quote

Youve already had a good idea get the head tested and planed to make sure it is straight. and put it on yourself. dont be ripped off
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: