HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Weber conversion (from Ben Wight's site)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:46 pm    Post subject: Weber conversion (from Ben Wight's site) Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I have converted thus far 2 Geminis over to 32/36 DGV, however both have been with a makeshift throttle cable setup. My setup involves a longer cable stretching around the other side, and has developed a habit of slipping and slackening off.

I have had a squiz at Ben Wight's website detailing the mod using a standard cable and modified Gemini hangers. It seems as though this setup requires that the choke system is removed. Has anyone done this mod and retained the manual choke? (I would prefer to keep it in case)

I will have a go at this mod this week, so I will find out myself, just curious if anyone has any new input regarding this mod.

Thanx and Cheers
(Up the R&D forum!)
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber conversion (from Ben Wight's site) Reply with quote

Hey Ben,

The reason I did it that way was for both simplicity, and the fact that when tuned well, thoses webers dont need the choke for a cold start. A single half pump of the accelerator to start, and then hold it at 1500rpm for 5 seconds, and it should idle by itself.

I have never seen a DGV with a manual choke, but I presume if it had a manual, you wont need to disable it. Its only the water controlled choke that I've ever had to remove.

Ben Wight
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: Weber conversion (from Ben Wight's site) Reply with quote

Cool, thanx Ben. I don't need to use the choke much, only if it runs a little fluffy on a cold morning. If I have to get across an intersection fairly quickly, she will fluff down low until a little warmer. Maybe that is a jetting problem I have.

If that is the case I might as well rip out the choke butterflies as well Smile Don't think I will go so far as to cut away around the top of the venturis though.

Will check it out.

Cheers
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Weber conversion (from Ben Wight's site) Reply with quote

The choke butterflies are easy to remove, simply take out the screws that hold the butterflies to the shaft, and then the shaft will slide out. There is no need to cut away the air horn, which is the twin square mouths that feed the venturis, it might be good for performance, but then again, it might be bad, as the air flow might need to be straightenned before passing through the booster venturis, which is possibly what the air horn achieves.

Ben Wight
lowrideTG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Weber conversion (from Ben Wight's site) Reply with quote

if its any help to anyone, i have the water temp controlled choke 32/36 webber on my g161, i just got rid of the choke butterflys all together, and now use 140 stamp primary jets. i have no troubles on a cold morning, just let the engine warm for a minute as you usually should to prevent engine/bore wear. my accelerator cable runs into a custom made bracket which is held on by longer manifold studs (only on one side) this works just fine
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: