HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

twin cam 1800 efi modifications to make roadworthy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CyBeR GeM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 6:59 pm    Post subject: twin cam 1800 efi modifications to make roadworthy Reply with quote

Hi does anyone know what mods you have to do (like brakes) to make a twin cam 1800 efi roadworthy. i am hoping i do not have to upgrade my brakes but there is a 90% chance i do. does anyone know?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cam 1800 efi modifications to make roadworthy Reply with quote

A brake upgrade is only required if you increase the mass of the vehicle, usually by more than 10%.

So fitting a twin cam engine will not necessitate the upgrade of the standard brakes.

Ben Wight
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cam 1800 efi modifications to make roadworthy Reply with quote

A 2L Twin cam engine requires vented discs on the front. I rang up last week to check.

Not sure about the 1.8 though.
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: twin cam 1800 efi modifications to make roadworthy Reply with quote

A guy that used to be on this site 'DOHC' said that in SA the 1800/2000 are regarded as the same. He said to pass rego u need upgraded front discs and he used a package from some place in SA that cost $1000 and has everthing.. just bolt up. It uses camry discs and volvo calipers.
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: twin cam 1800 efi modifications to make roadworthy Reply with quote

Just Gemini Spares, in SA designed/does the brake package for around $1500 (rough figure) I think.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 28, 2002 10:09 pm    Post subject: Re: twin cam 1800 efi modifications to make roadworthy Reply with quote

Who told you that you need ventilated disks?

I assume you meant you rang the local RTA, VicRoads, etc. If so, Who verifies that you have installed them correctly? Who verifies the brake proportioning is correct. Who verifies things like the use of approved brake lines. What about testing to verify they have actually improved braking performance?

If an engineer told you this, ask them why you need bigger brakes. I would be intersted in their answer.

Ben Wight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: