HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

DIY electronic ignition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:02 pm    Post subject: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

Can someone please help me change my ignition to electronic?

(Please dont ban me, I was just joking)

Well after lots and lots of muking around and talking to many people I have my ignition sorted. As well I believe that I have found the best value for effectiveness/ease of fitment dizzy conversion for a geminis ignition. At least that I have come across so far. If anyone can better this please share.
It goes like this.

You need to hunt around for a dizzy out of an isuzu engine which is one of the "4" series engine (ie has a 4 at the beggining of the engine number). Generally a piazza, rodeo, rb gemini, will have the right dizzy. Usually if the dizzy is the same size as a geminis then its the right one. However you cant use a 2.6L dizzy. The internals are a direct swap to the gemini dizzy. You can either use the internal module, which aren't particually good in performance apps. or you can get a module out of an XE,XD,XF falcon, late 80's magna, and generally 80's aussie built cars (BOSCH # BIM 024). These are better for high RPM. Then a coil is you choice. A new bosch electronic one is about $50 and they are fine. All can be done for well under $150, and you'll never look back.

If anyone has any questions about this post in one of the other forums and I'll happily reply.

Loz
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2002 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

Just a little note, the engine series is the '4Z' series, the four denotes that it is a four cylinder, while the Z is the engine family... basically we are talking;
4ZA1 - 1584cc - holden fargo & shuttle
4ZB1 - 1817cc - holden fargo & shuttle
4ZC1 - 1994cc - holden shuttle & piazza
4ZD1 - 2254cc - holden jackaroo & rodeo
4ZE1 - 2559cc - holden jackaroo & rodeo

Why is the 2.6 litre distributor not suitable loz?
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2002 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

It has a different style of pulse generator and module. Basically its alot more wires, and the parts are a bit more expensive. And Im not entirely sure if it is even the same size dizzy. Thats not to say that it couldnt be done as easily though, I just havent walked that path yet.
Turbo_Gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

i have an rb dizzy guts in my car, very simple swap just involves some filing of the housing & re routing of the wiring. i`m usin the stock internal module with no probs at hi revs, tho i did have a real brain buster of a misfire at hi revs, which ended up bein the reluctor out of phase with the poles in the dizzy cap. just had to remove the reluctor with a puller, & reinstall it 45 degrees around.. watch out for that!
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

There aren't always probs with the internal module, as you have found. However the BOSCH ignitors provide a bettre spark etc for some reason. As well as that,if the denso module goes they are damn expensive, as all denso stuff is, and a bosch module is much cheaper and easier to install. Aswell as that if for somereason you decide to run an aftermarket computer with injection then you need to run an external dizzy module.
So you myaswell run the internal module if it comes with the dizzy, as it will pose no probs to most people, and its much neater than an external one.

Loz
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

I have done the same thing except I used the Rodeo distributor housing with the Gemini advance weights and springs as the Rodeo mechanisim did not provide enough advance probably due to the fact that the Rodeo is fuel injected and the ignition timing is basically controlled by the ECU....Worked fantastic and because I used the Rodeo distributor housing I had no problems with the pulse pickup being out of phase with the cap poles - I also used the Bosch ignitor module, only costs $20.00, great price when you consider that ignitors cost upwards of $150.00 for many jap cars and provides more than enough spark to fire up a cylinder of LPG under 10 psi boost in my Gemini.

Just as a note, make sure the correct wire off the pickup is wired to the ignition pulse terminal of the Bosch ignitor, otherwise the timing will run retarded and miss at high RPM under load quite severly, I found that out the hard way!
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

Was the lack of advance at lower RPM or higher? I have a similar dizzy fitted, a mild G161 with Weber/Cam/Extractors, and I am experiencing what I believe is a lack of advance at low RPM.

If I time dizzy for low RPM pickup it will ping its head off under load. If I set the timing correctly for higher RPM and load conditions it is a slug down low. The compromise results in a soft engine.

I have a standard (slightly fettled) dizzy in my boot, I could attempt a rebuild at the risk of ruining both Very Happy
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: DIY electronic ignition Reply with quote

If you are using the Rodeo distributor internals (base plate, advance weights / springs, etc.) then you are experiencing a lack of advance 'overall'.

I found the Rodeo distributor only had about 5 degrees mechanical advance! If that.

Fit the Gemini advance weights / springs to the Rodeo body / shaft and remove the plastic covering from the advance weight stopper. Did wonders for me, a different, smoother more powerful car overall.

Remember, the Rodeo distributor is basically just a crank angle sensor, with the ignition timing controlled by the ECU. Naturally it dosen't have much advance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: