HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Gear Ratios

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEMSTROKA
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Gear Ratios Reply with quote

Hey Guys,
I was wondering if anyone out there could help me to figure out which would be the best diff and gearbox to use in my TG gemini to get good performance in the lower gears and a good top speed. Can anyone help me?
Thanks
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Ratios Reply with quote

by changing diff ratios you can either have one or the other

high top speed will mean the gears rev out longer but acceleration might seem slower

bigger gear ratio will ie 3.9:1 will make you acceleration quicker as more tourqe can be put to the ground
tx1975
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Ratios Reply with quote

lol, here come another argument about diffs, all sedans had 3.9 except the 8 bolts which were 3.89, diesels had a diff ratio due to having no power and there is also rumor of a different ratio wagon diff but i have yet seen one. all the gearboxes are meant to be the same from 1st to 4th gears, though i swear my early mod 4 spd had way more take off then my 5spd.
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Gear Ratios Reply with quote

diesel diff: 3.5:1 and the diesel gearboxes have slighly revised ratios, also when the te was released they changed the 5 speed ratios a bit, I have a very rare dealer press release letter for the te series as well as the holden bible: The parts listing for every gem part in oz
champo
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2003 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: reply 2 elky and tx 1975 Reply with quote

I agree, my old 4 speed went harder than my 5 im sure. I used to have better pick up, and top end im sure of it. My 4 speed was in my te when I got it, the five speed was out of a tf or tg, either of you guys know whether the ratios changed from te to tf?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: