HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

G200 rebuild questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 11:12 am    Post subject: G200 rebuild questions Reply with quote

Ok, so I have yanked the G161 out of the engine bay to find that she will need a complete rebuild, new pistons, rebore, camchain and all before I will be happy. Therefore I have decided to go the whole hog and rebuild my G200, working to a budget of approx $1k. My plan:

o G161 head (TX big valve, with mild cam)
o Thicker gasket (copper?)
o ACL pistons, 1mm oversize
o Lightened flywheel

In the process I will be replacing the timing chain. My first question is, will I be able to use the adjustable timing gear from the G161 with the G200 chain assembly?

After taking a squiz at the ACL catalog, I have noted two different specification of piston and ring, one of which is the premium set with Moly rings and higher grade pistons. Is it worth the additional expense of using the higher grade components when this engine will be mainly used for quick A-B/Street/car club outings? I need reliability.

I couldn't obtain prices on the higher grade gear, but I was given a ballpark of at least double for rings alone...

I think that is about it for now, must get back on the road.
Thanx

PS Yes I have used the search, it just didn't answer my specific questions Very Happy
Corty
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2003 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 rebuild questions Reply with quote

Price wise give Lee from lee's performance a ring

I got priced for a premium acl rebuild kit for a g161
approx $400 thats with evey thing

so could imaginge a g200 being much more
www.performanceparts.com.au
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: G200 rebuild questions Reply with quote

I have been using ACL pistons for a while now, and I would be very surprised to find that two different pistons are available. I know there are three different types of rings available though, cast iron, chorme or molly.

What ACL catalogue did you look in, the one off the net?

Your spec for engine sounds good, except for the thicker head gasket. I would personally be dishing the pistons if you dont want flat tops. You can also remove a fir bit of material from the combustion chambers when shapping them properly and unshrouding the valve seats.

I am pretty sure you can use your crow 1600 gears with a 2 litre chain, but thinking about it, have you ever adjusted the thing, so is there much point?

Dont forget too, that you need a decent cam, and that if you want big valve lift, you will probably need to get valve reliefs machined in the pistons.

Ben Wight
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 rebuild questions Reply with quote

I got the items from the online catalog, or more correctly the PDF download. I will probably go for the moly rings, seeing as the performance will be upped later on.

Dishing the pistons sounds like a better idea and I would much prefer to explore that option, along with valve reliefs. The question is, where is the best place to obtain dished pistons, or do I get an engine builder to machine them?

I won't be doing any work to the head, mainly for budgetary reasons and I need to get on the road ASAP.

The adjustable set was dialled in properly for the reground cam on a G161, made a hell of a difference over the stock settings. The cam is a reground item with about as much lift as possible, just a nice lumpy idle and opens the topend up considerably. I just wish to get it all dialled up properly.

Thanx Ben
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 7:46 pm    Post subject: Re: G200 rebuild questions Reply with quote

i just did my g200,

rough prices...

pistons, cast, cant remember name, $200

piston fitting, $55

acl 1.5mm rings, $50

crank grind and resize rods, $211

bearings, all bottom end, 10 thou undersize, $107

head gasket, $30

oil and shit,$60.

you can suprise yourself sometimes....its good to sometimes check out the little places like autopro, bursons, sometimes even supercheap.

as for quality, if its a streetcar, then normal gear should be ok, as long as you dont push her past 6500....right foot discression is a good thing.

rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: