HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ca18 or fj20 or rodeo?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tuffgemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:25 pm    Post subject: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

i wanna put something in my gem that goes a shitload harder than the original g161, ive only had my licence for 2 weeks n im bored wit the power already. i would rather get a ca18 or fj20 rather than work a gemi engine, i also wouldn't mind a rodeo, but im just after some prices, cos i want it to go hard but still be economical enough to be driven everyday. i dont have heaps of money to spend so there for im not goin to choose the most expensive, but if some of the peeps who have done these conversions could throw me a few figures as to what it costs to put it in.

sorry for long post
thanks peeps
matt
hellholefred
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

i was considering that once and u have to get a engineers cetificate and that jazz plus if its 15% over the original engine in power u are gonna have to upgrade brakes and what not!
hypaTG
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

get a quad throttle SR20DET out of a Pulsar GTiR or an RB26DETT out of a skyline gtr, that should satisfy your urge for power for a little while.
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

GeneFJ20DET will be able to help you out with quotes on the FJ, the CA18 would be virtually the same cost. The only way to cut costs with these engines is to toss the E.F.I and fit carbs - but it's not the most ideal solution.
Go a Rodeo engine if cash is a problem, there's a workshop article on how to fit the 4Z?1 engines. Most practical would either be a G200 or a 4ZD1. Do a search and all your questions will be answered - well at least 99% will be.
tuffgemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

yea but what is a sr20 gunna set me back u recon?
GEm1ma has xplod gea
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

i say go the rodeo, by the sounds of things u r going 2 install it yourself, u don't to get a nissan engine then find hidden costs like, new gearbox+ crossmember, front cossmembers, u will have to upgrade your diff , brakes, custom exhaust, everything. Where as the rodeo is only minor mods, same exhaust and can b bolted up 2 your original box. I mean u would b a fool not 2 just use the gemi as a go to car in stocko form and save up for a silvia or sumthin, atleast u won't get payed out as much. Just think realisticy+ if u get a turbo u might as well kiss all your money goodby as the insaurance company will get a hefty pay rise.

chris...
SNZ12L
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

About $3000 - $5000 for a front cut, depending on what model you get, after that there'll be brake upgrades, fuel lines/pumps, custom bits and then you'ld probably get bored with the power after a couple of weeks, so you should take the motor to Rigolis and they'll stroke it to a 2.4 for you with a few more bolt on and performance parts they'll get 487kws out of it for you, after you then get bored with that you could get some nos.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

is that exactly 487?? lol.
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

gemi shop quoted a mate of mine $5000 including engin to install a FJ20det. if u do it ya self u will get it in and runing for about $3500-$4000 (yes i know tis as i am doing it and im not just pulling numbers outta my ass)
but if u dont have alot of money i wouldnt bother with a conversion cos u will be up for at least $500 in engineers, then u have brakes and ECU and dyno tuning. and it would be just gay to leave it stock as u will get more out of a worked g200 than u will with a stock fj or ca etc.... if u do a conversion u dont leave it stock unless ofcourse its a sr20 from a s14 or s15 but they will cost ya $4500+ for the engin and gearbox. s13 u can pic up for $2800
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:29 am    Post subject: WTF??? Reply with quote

to answer some dribble from people who dont know what there talking about and just tell what they heard. ie, "mr"

need a new gearbox?? u get the gear box with the engin, comes as a kit

cusom exhaust??? no u just get a 3" exhaust like every decent turbo engin, the only difference is a $50 dump pipe instead of $150 extractors.

new crossmember?? no, u just weld 6mm plate onto the gemini engin mounts and the engin bolts right in.

save up for a silvia insytead of a sr/fj/ca gemini?? hmmmNO. i have a sr20 silvia right now and there shit!! handling is nothing to wank off over and the power isnt all that eather. power to weight!! i cant stress it enuff Wink

spend more on the sr/ca/fj gem than u would on a silvia.....????????? well..... yes your right there hahahaha Smile, but wheres the fun in that. blowing a silvia away in a gemini is so much better than doin it in anouther silvia dont u think?

gene
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

and just keep in mind that if you dont recon the import engine have some spare cash for when it fucks up.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

exactly!! hahaha, u have to (in your best mind) rebuild it, so why u are at it, throw some goodies in
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

get a 2.6 turbo and built it to the same specs as the black gemini on autospeed. 355hp at the rear wheels!! now thats fuckin fast. thats 264 killowats @ the wheels
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

u on msn mr dohct??????
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2002 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: ca18 or fj20 or rodeo? Reply with quote

gemiart@hotmail.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: