HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 3:58 am    Post subject: Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost Reply with quote

gday their..

Im concidering buying a 2.3L rodeo(4zd1) the whole truck for about 1000 bucks, i have been searching the forums trying to gather all the information that i need to determine how hard it is to install it .
I have mainly seen 2 ways of putting the engine in,

1.bolt standard engine brackets on the right way round, drop the engine down find were dizzy hits the firewall and bash with big hammer, problem fixed
has anyone ever done this?

2.find diesel engine crossmember and gearbox crossmember, and diesel tail shaft bot on standard mounting brackets but bolt on oppisite way around = efficient space for dizzy

1st question : which one should i do if i get the engine ? bashing the firewall seems very tempting quick/easy
how hard is it to change a engine crossmember?

2nd question : Would the rodeo manual gearbox stronger than the standard gemini gearbox? sould i swap gearbox?

3rd question :I have a performance clutch bolted onto my g160 is the clutch plate interchangeable with the 4zd1 also I have a crow cam in the 1.6 will that be interchangeable?

4th question :final word:- does the G series inlet/exhaust manifolds suit 4dz1's ,(i have read different things)

5th question :considering that the 2.3L is in good condition
would a blowthrough turbo setup running at 7psi be feasible with stock internals, and still have a bit of reliability or 7psi boost to high?. Also say I have got the 2.3L turboed running a stromberg 175 carby at 7psi would a gemini 5speed hold up? (gearbox is in good nick)

6th question:(last question) is the 4dz1 worth the effort (im doing this myself)or should i just dropin a 2L and turbo it, but then again the 4zd1 has 11 more kilowatts than the G200 and the standard comp ratio of 8.0:1 and the G200 has a comp of 8.4:1. mmmmmmm..

Anyones thoughts would be appreciated..Smile
cheers guyz
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost Reply with quote

ive got a rodeo 2.6L (4ZE1) engine for sale. comes complete with injection, computer, gearbox etc. still runs, in good condition $1500 NO OFFERS
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2002 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost Reply with quote

bugger reading all that, just read the work shop item on "how to install a 2.3 rodeo engin" go figure
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 12:16 am    Post subject: Re: Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost Reply with quote

Here's some short answers for you:

1. Yes.

2. They are the same.

3. Clutch yes, cam no.

4. Yes they are compatable (I've checked with gemini extractors and piazza turbo manifold etc)

5. Yes, they have tough internals. Should handle more boost but would fit O rings too.

6. When you drive it with the 2.3L compared to a 2L you'll know it's worth it..tORQUE!
BTW they have at least 20kw more than a stock g200 and a heap of torque.

I've got one for sale too (unfortunately for me).

Cheers.

MadGemVan@aol.com
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost Reply with quote

3 words . Need More Depth
tdwepn
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost Reply with quote

thanks mate for your useful reply,... just one more question (i cant help it), if i use the rodeo gearbox will the standard gemini tail shaft fit it? or what sould i use.
sould i go the bashing firewall techniqe what technique would u go 1 or 2?

thanks m8
maDGeMvAN
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Need advice.................please..(ignore1stpost Reply with quote

The tailshaft will fit if you use the firewall bashing technique Wink

I don't know much about the other way using the diesel crossmember etc. I've only heard it mentioned at one stage on this forum but never had any follow up info.
Has anyone here actually done it or have pics of that method?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: