HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Steering Wheel

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:34 pm    Post subject: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Has any1 got any idea how to remove the old steering wheel so that i can put a new 1 on???
I've removed the horn, the centre nut and all of the surrounding plastic trim, but the wheel is still stuck on.
Are there any screws/bolts that i've forgotten, does any1 know how to pull the wheel off without ruining the steering??
Greg
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

I had this problem too when I put on my new steering wheel. I got if off by dad and I pulling on it very very hard (this method is not reccommended). Whatever you do don't use a hammer as this may colaps the steering colum. I have since been told of a very effective to remove them though. Hit each side of the steering wheel (generating a side to side motion) for 5-10 seconds and it should lift straight off. Once its been off once, you shouldn't have any difficulties with is ever again. Cheers, Greg
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

make sure you have the bolt on by a few threads, or you get a nice big wheel in ya face.
Frederick Stienheld
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Or you can go down to super cheap and get a steering wheel removal tool that does the job very easily and no risk of getting your head taken off Smile
Ryan

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Never heard of a steering wheel removal tool. How much do you reckon one'd cost??
GEM2NV
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

another method is to give the wheel a fairly hard whack at the top, then bottom, then left and then the right sides of the wheel. Thats how i got mine off and it came off instantly, especially after about 30 mins of trying to pull it off using brute force.
Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Steering Wheel Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help guys. I tried brute force but it didin't work. My uncl ended up having a steering wheel remover. Although you might want to avoid driving with it on. I broke that little spring loaded pin that makes contact with the horn ring and had to fork out $40 for a new combination switch. Just a little warning......

Thanks again guys for all your help!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: