HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Commodore diff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:35 pm    Post subject: Commodore diff Reply with quote

Has anyone put a commodore diff under their gem, and what exactly was involved, i'm going to put a rotor in soon, and i want rear disks and the commodore stud pattern as well as ive changed the front and ive got a set of rims to suit. Thanks
FJ20DET
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff Reply with quote

just buy vl disks and clapers and bolt them on to the gemini diff
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff Reply with quote

How capable/strong are the gemini diffs??? will bolting on the VL Disks change the stud pattern as i need to change it to a commodore one anyway... and how involved is that to do, i wouldnt mind doin the work myself if possible...
FJ20DET
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff Reply with quote

if u can use a spanner u should be fine Wink hehehe

i got vl disks and clapers, (havent put em on yet) but i lined everything up, and its a straight bolt up change as far as i can see.
yes if u use the vl disks it will chnge the stud patern to the 5 stud. i dont want the 5 studs. u wanna buy my disks Very Happy im gonna get DBA vented ones with 4 stud instead
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff Reply with quote

But what about mounting the callipers??? To change from a drum rear to disk would involve more i'm sure, and the stud pattern would need to be changed on the axle, how strong are the gemi diffs, i'm talking a 13b rotary, will it handle it??? I've found a brake kit for the front 300mm VX rotor and twin spot callipers, dunno if i'll need to do the rear, but what i'm really askin is whether the diff and complete other stuff would be a better idea than modifying the standard diff if it aint gonna hold up in the end...
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff Reply with quote

where did you find out about the disk conversion for the front. i am looking for an upgrade as i am putting a 4ze1 in and i need an upgrade to get it registered.
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2002 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

The disk conversion for the fron you've got two options in kits that i could find anyway, apart from piazza disks which are near impossible to find. One is the castlemaine rod shop in VIC web address http://www.rodshop.com.au, or Hoppers stoppers also in VIC web address http://www.hoppers.com.au, they both mail them out. The castlemaine rod shop kit is $275 i think, for basically the mounting brackets and you will have to source HQ/WB callipers and XW/XY disks, and you're left with a ford stud pattern, but this isnt quite as big or cheap as the Hoppers stoppers kit which comes with the 300mm rotors and twin spot callipers from a VX commodore and everything else bar a master cylinder, its around $690 to $950 depending on what rotor you want eg slotted etc. Its so cheap as he gets the parts from HSV when the brakes are upgraded from factory, 50km on em or so. Which engines the 4ze1??? Can anyone help me bout the whole diff thing??? Hope that helps ya mate...
gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

Fitting Commodore discs will NOT change the stud pattern. You will need to change the axles this is where the wheel studs are mounted.I have heard that you can get commodore axles shortened and resplined. I have about 200hp in my Gemini race car and the diff handles that ok but it will depend on how much you abuse it.I have seen a Hilux diff conversion with no torque tube and you will need a new tail shaft anyway. McDonald bros Drag racing in Thomastown sell this type of setup I have seen a rotor gem there with this diff. Good luck
Gem
FJ20DET
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 3:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

yeah the calaper bolt straigt on to where the drums did
Reddez
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

How much do ya want for the VL disks, and what exactly have you got all up??? Just recieved the brakes for the front, so i'll fill ya in on how difficult the install is...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

i bought the whole rear VL brake assembely. backing plate, disks, calapers, and brakets.
i was told it bolts straight on, and buy the looks it will all bolt straight on easy all.
how much was your front brakes?? is it a kit? whats included?
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

So how much were ya lookin at for the brake stuff??? Or arent you still sellin it. I dunno if i'll need it when i put a rotor in, probly jus be a bit nicer to have. I'll fill you in on how easy the front is to do. Catchya...
This is a repost from earlier, The disk conversion for the front you've got two options in kits that i could find anyway, apart from piazza disks which are near impossible to find. One is the castlemaine rod shop in VIC web address http://www.rodshop.com.au, or Hoppers stoppers also in VIC web address http://www.hoppers.com.au, they both mail them out. The castlemaine rod shop kit is $275 i think, for basically the mounting brackets and you will have to source HQ/WB callipers and XW/XY disks, and you're left with a ford stud pattern, but this isnt quite as big or cheap as the Hoppers stoppers kit which comes with the 300mm rotors and twin spot callipers from a VX commodore and everything else bar a master cylinder, its around $690 to $950 depending on what rotor you want eg slotted etc. Its so cheap as he gets the parts from HSV when the brakes are upgraded from factory, 50km on em or so.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

Hoppers stoppers kit which comes with the 300mm rotors and twin spot callipers from a VX commodore and everything else bar a master cylinder, its around $690 to $950 depending on what rotor you want eg slotted etc. Its so cheap as he gets the parts from HSV when the brakes are upgraded from factory, 50km on em or so.
-----------
FARK that would be good!!! where can i get intouch with these peopl?? do they bolt straight onto a gemini?????
where are they located??
cheers
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2002 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Commodore diff now brake upgrade Reply with quote

http://www.hoppers.com.au/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: