HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Piazza TPS

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 1:16 pm    Post subject: Piazza TPS Reply with quote

Can someone tell me whether the piazza TPS is of the switch type or whether it is variable resistance?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 30, 2002 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza TPS Reply with quote

Why dont you hook up a multimeter and test it?
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2002 2:37 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza TPS Reply with quote

It has both, the main computer uses the switch one and the turbo computer uses the other, or maybe the other way around
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza TPS Reply with quote

Never heard of that before. I suppose that could be why there are two plugs coming out of the TPS. Anyone else have any answers. Has anyone hooked a piazza TPS up to a microtech. Its the last thing for me to hook up and I dont want to use a switch type one,so I will change it if thats the only option.

I would have tested it but it was in the garage and Im inside and the car is not running (or has anypower to it for that matter), so I thought Id check to see if anyone esle had experiance with Piazza TPS's and aftermarket computers.

Cheers.
Loz
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Sep 01, 2002 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza TPS Reply with quote

Loz,

The microtechs inbuilt map sensor measures engine load. THe only time that I can think of where it would be better to use the TPS to measure engine load is in on a NA engine where there are extreme variations in manifold vacuum, like from lump cam and quad throttle bodies, etc.

Therefore, unless your engine is a wild NA one, then you only need the switch type, from memory, the microtech will display the actual throttle postion with a variable TPS, but only needs to know wheter throttle is closed (to run idle map) or open (to run load map). Thus, a swith type is needed, but either will do.

To determine what pins do what, hook up a multimeter, select resistance, and then try all the pins combinations whilst turning the TPS, you will be able to work out what pins do what, ie, common, switch, variable resistance.

Ben Wight
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza TPS Reply with quote

Well heres the story. Its a new LT8 ecu. It will run the MAP mainly however in terms of fuel economy a variable resistance TPS will run mush smoother and economically. So I basically want it for economy. I wrote down a description of the whole idea for smeone and when II find it I will post full details.

Cheers.
Loz
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 9:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza TPS Reply with quote

No worries, I am not familiar with the LT series, only the MT series. I didn't realise the LT can use both sensors in conjunction at the same time. I am interested to see how it will help, because as far as economy goes, the MAP sensor can virtually do everything.

With the MT series computer, high vacuum obviously represents low engine load, which is when you want to be fuel efficient, so you can tune your load maps to suit. Also, when the MAP sensor detects a constant level of vacuum above a set value, it will run a cruise map, which you can once again tune to be as lean as you want.

Ben
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: