HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Diff ratio

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MUS BUS 10

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Diff ratio Reply with quote

Is it true that panel van (gypsy wagon!) diffs are a different ratio than the sedans? I know diesels are a 4.55 ratio but what are the vans? Cheers
ByteMe22
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

i thought diesels were 3.55...
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 10:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

maybe but i don't think so. I have the Geniune holden gemini parts book for the whole t series run. It says that there were 3 ratios, the diesel diff, the early model 8 bolt (3.89) and the later model 10 bolt (3.90) 8 bolts were only found on tx and tc gems
cheers
martin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2002 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

so the different of a bee's dick between early and late model petrol models
Birko
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 1:49 am    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

Ive heard rumors that a diesel is a 4.11, howver there is no prove and nobody confirms it on this site. So ill stick with my holden book and say that it is 3.55
spud
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

i hearded the centres are the smae as some commodore diffs. any one able to confirm or deny that? and if it does work what ratios are available with them?
spud
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

Early Diff 3.89:1 (8 bolt)
Petrol ALL Australian MODELS 3.90:1 (10 Bolt)

Diesel 3.55:1

Diff 10 Bolt is the same as commdores BUT the Pinion is different so you have to use a Gemini Crown and Pinion, thus keeping with the gemini ratio 3.9:1, but the LSD centre can be added.

as far as I know:
Piazza 3.55:1 LSD Solid disk brake version. with tourque tube.

ZZ/R & ZZ/T
unsure.
I assume they may have had the same as the Piazza,

Cheers
Eggy
gemivanman
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

yes, the panal vans had a higher diff ratio. this was because it gave them a better take off when they had a load in them. i cant remember the ratio off the top of my head cause i read it a long time ago.

later
Trippo
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

I'd say that that would be a typo! 4.55 - 3.55. Vans are different ratio, but stuff knows what.
GasGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

VAN's are same ratio as Petrol sedans,

and 3.5:1 would be a higher ratio and hard to get off the line.

ie. 1st would be like a 1st+1/2 gear and so on,
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2002 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

Does anyone know if the diesel diff is the same salisbury unit as the petrol diff, just a different ratio? Or is the diff housing different aswell?

I am keen to get a 3.55:1 ratio, but keep my LSD centre.

Ben wight
Trippo
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2002 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Diff ratio Reply with quote

3.55 - They set the speedo out 10Kms. Pretty good, its almost worthwhile having first gear! Good on the highway, a prick if you don't get the handbrake cable to suit!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: