HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

resetting odmeter ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:47 pm    Post subject: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

Just got a brand new motor in my gem Smile i want to reset my odometer back to 0, can someone tell me the easiest way to do this ? i searched and found u can take the dash out and then it's possible to use a powerdrill in reverse to make the odometer go backwards until it reaches 0 ? how do i take the dash out and what do i attach the drill to ? is it possible to do it n e other way as i know taking the dash out is a pain in the ass ...
cheerz
BTW Gene please post a funny smart ass reply to this post
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 3:47 am    Post subject: Re: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

That's kinda illegal..

The odometer is supposed to represent how far the car has travelled as a whole, and the rta keep a record of the odometer reading each year so you'll get busted at rego time.
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

i want to set it back to 0 because i've just got a new motor in my car and i don't want to know how many k's the old motor has done, i want to know how many k's the new motor has done
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

Write the current reading in a log book and subtract that from the total and you hvae your number. The RTA don't care if you are mathematically challenged or not.
DaGemi
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

I am in the same boat. my new engine went in thursday night and i havn't hit the road yet. still re spraying it. anyways, i want to re set my odometer too.

when do they check it??? i have never had mine checked. except for the tyre people who half the time dont even do that. no RTA has ever checked my distance travelled.

i am in sa if that makes a difference.

-Rob.-
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

Yeah here in NSW they check it every year when you get your pinkslip, does SA have rego inspections at all?
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

I'm in NSW, and ahaven't had mine checked
sooty
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:39 pm    Post subject: DONT reset odmeter ! Reply with quote

In NSW it gets checked each year. Check your last pink slip. Large fine or even prison time for altering odometer readings.
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: DONT reset odmeter ! Reply with quote

but i just got a brand spanking whole new engine in my car !!
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: DONT reset odmeter ! Reply with quote

who cares, its not how many k's the engine has done, its how many the car has done as a whole. if you want it so bad, then make a logbook.
alan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: DONT reset odmeter ???? Reply with quote

So what happens when you put in a brand new one, which IS set to 000000kms?
sooty
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:38 am    Post subject: Re: DONT reset odometer ???? Reply with quote

You must have it reset to show the true reading.
Gigfus
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 1:17 pm    Post subject: Re: DONT reset odometer ???? Reply with quote

What happens when the odometer reaches 999999999 and goes back to 0 ?
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: DONT reset odometer ???? Reply with quote

they wouldnt go that far, the lifespan of a car couldnt make it. theyd give up, and most of them would hit the wreckers. that would be one old old car. but it would be funny watchin clock 0 again.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: resetting odmeter ? Reply with quote

There is no law governing odometer readings in any other states . I havent heard of it in NSW either. ACT certainly doesnt do it. If you check any car that has custom gauges or dash conversion or something, none of them will have their odometers changed to what they once were. The only law governs LVM's from changing the readings as it is fraudulant. I have had a gem rego'd in NSW and swapped the whole instrument cluster to a zz/z one, and had an inspection with that in there. They didnt even question it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: