HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

update exhaust popping
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

well here's the thing. I've excluded everything ignition related and no vacuum leaks and the compression test shows all cylinders the same, so it doesn't seem to be a stuck valve. #1 makes virtually no difference when the lead is pulled so the only thing I'm down to now is carby on #1 is a bit shitty or the valve is sticky but not showing up in the compression test. Anyway I'll take the rocker cover off over the w/e and check that valve. What a fuckin drama, I think I have to take the inlet manifold off to get the rocker cover off Surprised(
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

why u gotta take tha manifold off to get the cover of?
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

i reack on that the manifold is the biggest itch to get of. carby is easy to get of apart form the bolt at the back.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

first I've got to back out the kingswood to move the Torana so I can get to the commodore and get it out of the way so I can get to the Gemini. Surprised)
Cos, stating the bleeding obvious, I think the manifold is in the way of getting the rocker cover off...
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:43 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

is this a Lithuanian web site?
Gemini Driving Yobbo
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

hahah u just realised that this is a Lithuanian web site. hhaha dam your dum hehhehe:)
o yeha i forgot that your taking the rocker cover off. have fun finding the right key for your gem amunst all your others Smile
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:50 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

CuGem....

If the compressions are fine and the intake manifold has no induction leaks around the number 1 intake runner then the problem has to be either a faulty spark plug or ignition lead. Either check the resistance of the number 1 lead or substitute another lead. In regards to testing the spark plug, swap it with the spark plug in number 2 and see whether the miss 'moves' to number 2 cylinder....

Being a mechanic I have never seen a valve 'stick'....Never.
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

Done all that. resistance OK in all leads, swapped the plugs between 1 and 2. As I said nothing ignition related that I can determine Surprised(
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

Yobb, those hormones yur taken to make you think like an Indie Chick are messin up your brain...
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

What exactly were the compressions if you don't mind me asking and are you sure that pulling the lead off number one cylinder definatly has no effect on the running of the vehicle? What happens if the leads are pulled off cylinders 2,3 and 4 in turn? Does the engine run worse?
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

All cylinders were around the 130 mark. Yeah pulling the leads off 2, 3 and 4 made it run like crap. There was almost no detectable difference with the lead on or off #1
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

Are you 'sure' you don't have an intake manifold leak? Have you run water around the manifold while the engine is running? Also, check your tappets....
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Jul 12, 2002 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

Water?? in MY engine bay. Are you f**king nuts? ;o)winks ;o)
We used the ol' piece of hose and ear trick for that, but couldn't hear leaks. I'll get out my trusty oil can later and try it that way. 99% sure there's no leak. Failing that the rockers covers off tomorrow.
fluid
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:45 am    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

Water is the best thing for finding induction system leaks and is cleaned up far easier than oil.... Smile
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 13, 2002 10:52 am    Post subject: Re: update exhaust popping Reply with quote

G'day fluid. We gave the first barrel a bit of a blowout and the popping seemed to reduce. Yesterday when I ran it I couldn't detect any popping, but I ran some water over it anyway. there was no change. #1 still making almost no difference but it does now seem to be carby related and I'm seeing Iain this week anyway.
cheers mate, thanks for the help
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: