HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

15 second 1/4 ????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BADGEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:29 am    Post subject: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

Hi guys I wanna pull a 15 or quicker pass.
Now I have a webber carbi, mild cam, extractors 5spd
i wanna deck it outbut no turbo.
whats the best mods I can do to pull a 15 or quicker pass
what cost am I looking at .
Reason being why i wanna stay away from turbo dont wanna change the brakes or play around with shit like that.
i would spend a good $1500 to get it up 2 a 15 or quicker pass whats the best way to tackel this or oppions needed
the car just came back from the pannel beaters fresh paint job, so I got a big job putting it back togther I just wanna drag the bitch .
im from melbourne does any1 know of any good performance places in melbourne that will help with this task?
i wanna keep the motor a Gem, so see what happens from here
PLZZZZZZZZZZZZ help
all advice needed to perform a 15 pass
plz guys
email me
joeysgem@hotmail.com
Brizben
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

For starters, I would want to wonder what your gem runs now.

I went to the 2000 4s and Rotaries Jambourie in my stock RB Gem for my first ever run and ran a 17.5 followed by 2 17s. The car was loaded with everything, spare tire, full tank of gas and my tool kit in the back. Considering what you have installed now, it could be maybe give-or-take a sec or so off.

I would suggest work out what you run at the moment and then see how far you are off. If you take some weight out, eg spare tyre, rear seats, (passanger seat if you don't have friends who want to go Smile low tank of gas, even door pannels if your desperate when you make the run. The less weight means faster run, and you can put it all back in easily afterwards, plus cheap.

Then i guess you can work out what you want to do to the engine to actually make it go!
Shark
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

Maybe look into NOS?
Twisted_torque
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

I have a TD gemini, 2L Rodeo in it, stage 4 crow cam, extractos into 2 1/4' exhaust, 5 spd, 1600 head. Ohh... and I have a set of centreline (flat dish style) mags, with 4 near new low profile Yokohama's on 13's so the wheel diameter is even smaller than stock which makes for quicker start.
With a lightened load will I be able to run a 15 without any more work??
Nathan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

well actually if u removed the door panels it wouldn't go any faster and would probably go slower cus the air would catch on the car and slow it down
Hamal
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

I cant remember where I got this from, but it's a guys description of a 13 second NA 1600 Gemini... pretty impressive!

Here goes:

*sniff* Sorry peoples, had the flu all day, and didn't want to cover my keyboard in germs.
Okay, the White Gemini. I better tell ya's the full story, cause I spilled it to Boomsticks last night on the way to the cruise.
The Gemini was originally an unfinished show car project me and my cousin purchased for $1100 in '94. It had 2 pak Frost White paint with Lemon, Turtle and Lavender pearl through it. The main problem was that it had been damaged by a heap of baseball bats so heaps of dents were all over it. It had a G161 pretty worked at the time. When we purchased it the guy had fitted a Peter Jackson Racing crank, double row timing chain, 10:1 forged pistons with crower rods, ported, polished and 3 angle seats fitted with a .040" shave (bumped the compression to 11.1:1) but stock valves and springs, with a 30/70 Camtech Cam. A IDF 40mm weber with adaptor plate was on a stock inlet manifold with perry 4-2-1 extractors.
We then started fixing everything that was wrong with the Gemini. We 1st found out the diff was on it's last legs. So that was fixed with fitting a wagon diff. We took it out to Eastern Creek the 1st time and got a 15.24@89mph. We then were side by side with VP SS's, but that wasn't enough. When we started losing consistently to them, we knew the engine needed a freshen up. So we took it apart.
We left the block as it was, as it was still in good nick. We took the head off, and fitted a 2.0mm copper gasket to lower the compression back to 10.2:1. We got rid of the head that was on it, but not before taking some cues off it. After flow testing it, we found out it wasn't properly port matched and flowing uneven amounts, so we decided to do another head to similar specs but changed the angle of the porting to make it more consistent. We didn't shave the head on this one, and after re-fitting it and finding the compression drop back to 9.5:1 wasn't good for it, we replaced the 2.0mm gasket with a 1.5mm gasket and got the 10:1 ratio again. We fitted double valve springs and oversize Four Plus Performance Valves, and got a Jones Performance 40/80 cam. Duration was 270* from memory. We fitted Pacemaker 4-1 extractors aswell. We took it out after that to Eastern Creek and got a 14.51@89mph again, this time leaning out cause the 40mm weber wasn't supplying enough fuel. We then took to the Dyno at Brad's Speed Shop with the engine out of the car. We tried the G200 carby off a rodeo, fitted with an adaptor plate on a custom manifold, then with a port matched stock manifold, and did the same thing with an IDF 45mm Weber. We found that although the Weber could provide more power over 190km/h due to more fuel flow at Top End, the G200 carby allowed better pickup through the rev range, especially low to midrange. But surprisingly, the stock manifold was the best choice for us compared to the custom manifold. So on that went. We got 176hp@6900rpm and 145ft/lb@3000-4200 with that setup. Had a very flat curve from 3000rpm till the cam kicked it, so it was good for cruising too. Wasn't a "PIG" as such, but it would've drunk fuel equal to a 186 Holden. We had also by this time fitted a hornet scoop with a very distinctive Aqua tip on it, which we used on our burnout making Celica.
When we 1st took it out on the street we were spitting axles every 2 weeks, so we were careful when we actually went out with the new setup. But we knew we had potential when we were killing VP HSVs (weren't too sure about racing VRs cause of cops) by 3rd gear. When we 1st took it out to the Creek, we were still worried about the diff cause we had no trailer but said fuck it. 1st got a 14.89@94mph to test the top end, then on our 1st hard run got 14.09@95mph then we got the 13.81@96mph. From then on we kept getting consistent 14.0-14.2s with the occasional 13.9. It was then stolen and stripped of some panels, and killed the motor, so we then had to refit a stock crank inplace of the PJR item, and a few other things too. From then on it was never the same car. We sold it to these guys for $1250 after the damage done to the motor.
That's how it ends, was a sad way for it to end too for me. I loved that car. C yas!! Mafs!!

*added bit* People I forgot 1 thing which I've added in there, we did change extractors. Changes are up there. C yas!! Mafs!!
cool gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

Hay what is a peter jackson racing crank and were do ya get them>
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

yeah no shit
i want one too!
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:26 am    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

He forgot to mention the size of the forgies, 85.5mm, (1800 pistons), so its not really a 1600.
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

You need compression, maybe a bigger cam, you didn't mention exhasut?

Thats about it, while working on the motor, you may aswell install 1800 slugs.

Ben Wight
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 18, 2002 12:46 am    Post subject: Re: 15 second 1/4 ???? Reply with quote

NOS........brooommm haha....KABOOM!!!!!!!!
fun for a day, nightmare for a lifetime.
fit nos,and dont expect too much engine life.
be fun but.
a te with 150 hp nos kit.......
go figure.
rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: