HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Worked 1.8L Help!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
henry
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 1:37 am    Post subject: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

hey guyz
i was tryen to tune my engine a couple of days ago and i tuned it 8 degreez off tdc , it runns pritty good but when u get under it and u hit about 5,200 rpm the engine starts to make a raspy grunty noise ..
my engine is a fully worked 1.8L with a 30/70 crow cam bigger pistons, ports, bord 40 thou , 1.6 tc head, 3 angle valve job on tha head, ground crank shaft and extractors and a big 2 throught carbie ..

i was talken to one of my friends about my problem and he sayed the timing was out , and he asked what was done to my engine and i sayed all that stuff that i said above and he said that because my engine is worked to that extent the marked tdc on the pully is not top dead centre on my 1.8 , he said that i have to find true top dead centre.

does any one know how mant degrees off the origanal tdc mark is my real top dead center on my 1.8L?
or have i got it all wrong?

help!
thankx guyz
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

okay from wat i understand u have to remove the first spark plug. and insert a str8 bit of wire or a sparkplug that has a metal rod inserted in it like a ice pick. spin the engine slowly by hand till the number one piston hits the rod. then mark on your timing marks were tdc is.
Tooleeda
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

What happens when you retard the timing to 5deg BTDC?
Will it rev out then? Albeit a bit slower?

Are you running points and a standard dizzy?
Check all electronic components are in good condition.

Check the alignment of the timing chain, it could be out a link.
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 5:37 am    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

Please tell me this post was a joke !!!! Fully worked ROFL my lawn mower has a larger duration cam then your motor.... Michael
henry
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

good on ya m8
Slug
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

Sorry Henry but I just couldnt help it. You sound so serious and I realy have a dislike of the word "FULLY WORKED" because it means nothing.... Michael
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:22 am    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

As far as setting the timing, you cant really get it wrong. The timing cover has lotches with every 4th or so notch marked with how many degrees it represents. These notches cant move as they are cast into the timing cover.

The crankshaft pulley has a notch representing a TDC notch, as when the engine is at TDC, the notch will line up with zero on the timing cover. This pulley cant move, as there is 2 bolts and a steel dowel pin securing it.

So if you set it at deg BTDC, then be assured it is 8 deg BTDC. You possibly have incorrectly adjusted points, or bad mixtures, or a failure in the igntion system somewhere.

If your dizzy is standard with 24 degrees mechanical advance, then your total timing is 32 degrees by about 3000rpm, whihc is a good timing value (a little bit more might be better depending on Dynamic compression ratio), and the fact that this problem happens at 5000 rpm and not earlier suggests that timing is not an issue.

I would check out your igntion system, and then check mixtures.

Ben Wight
henry
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:38 am    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

i respect that , just dont go and dis my engine, coz i love it especially when i beat commiez
henry
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Re: Worked 1.8L Help! Reply with quote

thanks bro much appreciated..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: