HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Shannon Brook's car in mod. gallery
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2002 11:42 pm    Post subject: Shannon Brook's car in mod. gallery Reply with quote

Just got a query... Shannon mentions the planned brakes are WRX calipers on VL turbo rotors... First question, the VL turbo rotors have a total disk height of 82mm, while there is only a few millimetres of clearance to the stub axle with a 47mm high disk... how do you plan on resolving this?

Secondly, the WRX rotors are 24mm thick, while the VL rotors are 22mm thick... So before any pad wear you've already used 2mm of piston travel... thoughts? solutions?
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 2:41 am    Post subject: Re: Shannon Brook's car in mod. gallery Reply with quote

hey shannon, gti seats or mx5 seats. i have a set of both for sale in sydney if your from that way. (sincce you mentioned you were undecided on front seats)
diesel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2002 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: Shannon Brook's car in mod. gallery Reply with quote

where did you come up with the idea of wrx callipers and how do you intend fitting them? if you want a 24mm rotor try a tn magna. also avail in dba slotted.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: Shannon Brook's car in mod. gallery Reply with quote

Another question, what bearings do you put in a one peice commodore rotor that make it fit where a two peice hub and rotor assembly normally go? And are the bearing centres the same distance?
Have to get out the measuring stick tomorrow.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 2:45 am    Post subject: Re: Shannon Brook's car in mod. gallery Reply with quote

And by the way, ever asked a WRX owner how good their brakes are? Apparently they're pretty bloody ordinary!
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: Shannon Brook's car in mod. gallery Reply with quote

Trust me when I say that they obviously weren't comparing to a gemini... It was punting a WRX racecar for 30 laps round queensland raceway that made me decide to upgrade my brakes... and no, I don't plan on using vl disks or wrx calipers... something else entirely.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes? Reply with quote

Not even in the same league!

Was chatting to EBC Brakes down here in Melb. They were telling me they do sooo many conversions for Rex's to their 'turbo grooved' discs and 'redstuff' pads.

Discovered they do a brake pad that's a dead ringer for a standard gemini replacement. Available in "greenstuff" for the street, and "redstuff" for the track. Fairly cheap upgrade for those on a budget.

Let me know if antone wants more details.

Yonnee.
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 3:15 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes? Reply with quote

I have studied the braking system in the gemini and there aint fuk all conversions around that just bolt on a shit load a work and money has to go into it the braking system on my gemmie cost me 1500$ all up thats new lines cylinders XF drums rear and ford xa-b vented front with hq calipers (kit supplied castlemain rod shop)

sorry peoples but I can smell shit in the air I cant c the conversion going on with out a lot of money being spent..

cheers
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 5:05 am    Post subject: IDAREU2 Reply with quote

wat brake master cylionder did you use?? and were the front discs the removable hub type?how much it set you back as i have the kit but am looking for another options atm
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2002 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes? Reply with quote

A part No. for the 'Green Stuff' pads would be unreal. I know i punish mine, so better pads would be a great help.
Jasyn...
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Brakes for Gem. Reply with quote

Jaysn, P/N for 'Greenstuff' pads; DP2106.

Just for curiosity, also looking at a disc rotor that might bolt to standard hub. Let you know how it goes.

Yonnee.
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:36 pm    Post subject: Re: EVLGEM Reply with quote

Yes they are the removable hub type mate and I still use the gemini M/S with the VH44 remote booster under my front gaurd due to no room under the bonnet..
They are a sweet set up and Im in the middle of my engineering of the car for street rego and the brakes work fine PASSED!!!
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2002 11:47 pm    Post subject: Re: EVLGEM Reply with quote

how much it set you back all up and were the rotors new or 2nd hand?
Gold TX Sleeper
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2002 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Brakes for Gem. Reply with quote

Greatly appreciiated... I know it's about time i stepped up the brake side of my car, so this will be a great deal better than replacing pads every 6 months. Hope the rotor experiment works and u can share it with us all.
Just out of curiosity, i put a message up on TF into TX compatibility, i was hoping someone could answer my queries as i dont want t miss out on these parts coz they really are dead cheap - could you help me out with those questions as well ? Would really appreciate it...

Jasyn.
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2002 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: Gold TX Sleeper. Reply with quote

I'll try.
I think the floor pans were similar, so the exhaust should fit. Anyway they're easy to modify to get to fit.

From memory, my spring catalogue at work has different springs listed between early and late models but the difference could just be ride height. Springs that I just pulled out of a TE front end and put into the Racegem (TD), were about an inch shorter without modification.

My Nolathane catalogue has ALL rear drive Geminis listed with the same rear control arm and panhard rod bushes, so the only reason the diff might not fit, as someone mentioned in another post, is the torque tube mount bolts.

If they're so dirt cheap, grab 'em anyway. Whatever doesn't fit, sell.

Hope this helps,

Yonnee.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: