HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

workshop recomendations

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
murph
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:36 am    Post subject: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

I live in sa and am heading into town today to get a few quotes for a new/reco engine looking to get a G200z, preferably worked, what workshops do you recomend or think to avoid? SOme names and adresses or numbers would be sweet.

and in changing to the 2lt do I then have to have it taken over regency?

Thanks

Shane
ATG23Q
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

Last edited by ATG23Q on Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
coupetx
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jan 02, 2004 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

do you have the motor and want it reconditioned. if so i no a few good machining shop, that will do what ever u want and will recomend what u need. j.h. southcotts, at richmond, they are wicked, i got my g180w machined there and they spend alot time making parts and trying 2 track stuff down 4 my engine and it was still a good price at the end. If u want 2 head south 2 lonsdale, head to rising sun, they do machining down there, and i think u should be able 2 track a 2l down there, they also do a good job. i hope that helps u out.
tunnel vision
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

I was talking to a guy who has a almost identical TF van to mine on the Mid Coast last weekend. He has a 2ltr Rodeo engine in his and he said all he had to do was take his car to the rego dept so they could sight his new engine number and change their records. He said thats all you have to do cause you are only increasing capacity by 400cc. Ofcourse that's if you are changing from a 1.6 to 2ltr. Spose you would have to catch a rego desk jockey on a good day i reckon.
mystikal21
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

wtf is regency
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 03, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: Re: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

sa transport place where u take your car to get 'major' defects passed
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:20 am    Post subject: Re: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

Rather than avoiding inspection and advice about what needs to be done for it to comply with design laws and to make your car safe, take a chance and hope you don't become involved in a legal battle with it later....

....how stupid is that???

He is asking if it will require inspection by law... YES it will in most states. I know it does in SA in Vic and in NSW.

For the sake of a few hundred dollars and peace of mind, why try to fool yourself that your car doesn't need to be checked? If the car needs improved braking and it probably will, then that's what's required.

If less people were opting to avoid getting these checks done to begin with, maybe less of us would have to put up with arrogant know it all cops trying to defect all the modified cars they see. If we all obey the rules it could make it easier all round.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:33 am    Post subject: Re: workshop recomendations Reply with quote

In Vic it is allowable to increase capacity and/or power by up to 10% above the maximum available in the production model, provided the engine is one which is approved as an alternative... ie was available as an option by the manufacturer.

I think this rule is there to allow rebuilds of original equipment engines where bore is increased in the process of reconditioning.

As the Rodeo engine is more than 10% rule AND not offered as an option by GMH it will not be allowed in Vic without an engineering inspection.

I am currently in the process of converting a TG van to a Gemini diesel (1.8l - 4FB1) engine.

Strangely this should also need an enginner approval as the diesel option was only available in the TE through TG sedan and not the wagon or van.

I have convinced the engineering department at VicRoads head office that the only differences in the van/wagon and the sedan models are a few body panels. All general mechanical components interchange and are equal in all respects. They see my point and have allowed me to go ahead with this modification without an engineering inspection even though on paper it says I technically should need one.

So, to if you are sure of something don't just barge on and do it without getting approval. As I found out, perservering sometimes gets a positive result.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: