HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

I got my engineers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: I got my engineers Reply with quote

Well not quite, I took it to be done, and he said Im going home now to type it up, but before I give it to you, you need to do these things:
Find the tare weight,
take the chrome centre off the steering wheel,
mesh up the bonnet vent holes (as the structural rails have been cut through the middle they will provide support through the bonnet),
remove the handset,
take the gauges out of my dash and move them awat from the passenger head impact area,
quieten it from 99dB to 90dB,
and treat and cover up the dodgy pin holes in the floor where rust was repaired.

It was almost like he was giving me a road worthy at the same time, or at least making me do this stuff so at the inspection they dont have dicky reasons to knock me back.

Everything else custom passed.
He approved my seats, Brakes, big wheels, battery in boot, steering wheel, passed the emmisions with flying colours which included turbo and EFI approval, a front mount, and a set of harnesses.
The car canned in the brake test. 20 stops from 100kmh to dead stopped, all one after another, and no fade at all, even locked them up momentarily on about the 18th time. It was more than I had to do, but was having fun showing off and canning my car infront of a few other people on our now redundant drag strip. I definately gave it too much stick for a new engine, but I dont care, it was fun!!
So the list will take no time at all, the only harder things being the noise, and the gauges, and maybe some playing with the mesh.

Loz
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

good on ya loz. now if we could get that sort of luck over in WA.
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

Dude, how did you pass the emissions??? Coz i was told i could never get it passed emissions as it doesn't have the polution gear. Argh, explain!
Wfc
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

i am guessing that this is a pre 1/7/76 gemini? otherwise did you pay for a 3 bag/US75 emissions test? or was it just a simple C02 test?
what state are you in?
cheers
WFC
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

He has a TG i think, coz he was telling me he wanted to use the TE grille, but it was fucked. But dunno what state
Wfc
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 12:03 am    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

his profile says canberra, laws about emission compliance might be different there..?
All i know is that to make sure that a car complies to ADR27A involves a emissions test that is EPA approved and this usually costs $~2500 from my experience.
There have been rumors that some states will do this test for free but i have yet to see any proof of this

WFC
gazely
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

what size rims and tyres?
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

Yep in canberra.
Im pretty sure the emissions requirements are the same here as everywhere else.
Mine is a TG with an 84' block. It has to comply with ADR27C. Im not required to have a cat, or mod the fuel filler neck. The testing was part of the engineers report, and the engine only had to run cleaner than a stock TG gemini, which with EFI and a good tune, it did.
So you have proof of this now.

Also the rims are 17x7.5.

Loz
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

Sweet as! Hey, what you have to do to get the 17's engineered, just make sure they dont hit the guards on full lock? What is all this costing you, is it all above board? or you know someone.

A mate of mine told me you are not allowed to run an after market engine management system because the EPA can't controll your emissions like they can on the standard ECU.
Wfc
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

Did the emissions test cover the 3 main gases, HC C02 and Nox? or was it just a C02 test?
A 3 gas emissions test usually costs quite a bit. Did you fork out big time for it, so they could show that it met the 27C requirements?
cheers
WFC
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

ONLYA4 - the ecu would have to be an aftermarket one, as there are no (obviously) ECU's on a non-efi engine. EPA doesnt like replacing the ECU's on factory EFI equipt cars for the reason you stated; cars that have been converted to EFI can run any ECU.

Cheers
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

Ahh, im a dick, should have thought of that. I just thought he was talking in general terms, I knew you would have to have an after market system on it but just didn't think about it. oh well, immmmmmmmm an idiot.
rust3
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I got my engineers Reply with quote

when my brothers passed engineering they had to quieten it down from 111db to 90, the bloke measuring it dodged it up for him by jambing a piece of 2" pipe up the mufler. done the test, passed, the the bloke took it out for him!

i love shotty people....

anyway, what computer are you running? did they pass it? i know if its pre-75 model computers dont have to be engineered
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: