HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BoOStiN
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:12 am    Post subject: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

Hey all, I went to a well known exhuast shop in brissy to book my gem in for a sports exhaust and fitment of extractors. The switch bitch says to me that he has never fitted extractors to a gemini cos he reckons the standard manifold was casted to perfection. Well thats so debatable its not funny,sif care bout trying to get more cash outa me but try to talk me out of it! I asked if he had flow tested both std manifold and xtractors and had dyno results but could not come up with the goods.Not a very interesting subject i know..but any thoughts at all???
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Re: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

Maybe the 4 into 2 TX manifold, but I doubt the rest. My first TC noticed a slight increase in power and economy after the extractors were fitted.
Maybe it was the "switch bitch's" last day, and he'd pissed her off so she wasn't booking in any more work? Just a thought...
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

well it also maye depend, as i knew of a TX with the standard cast headers, but had a splitter piper after the cast headers then met up into a single pipe near the end of the gearbox, that worked on the same principle like extractors, and actually pulled slightly harder than extracted Gem Gems,
driftin_TX
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

ive got a TD wagon with TX headers on em and it goes alot harder with these than extracers! trust me!
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

well ive got a tg
stock was average but with the 4-2-1 it seamed to rev out more

my new car i got last night td has tuned length extractos but i havnt taken it for a real run yet
BlueTC
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 11, 2003 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

she will just keep on reving with 4-1's

more torque with the 4-2-1,

ditch em all and get a Turbo,

haha
elky
petrol head

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:07 am    Post subject: Re: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

ditch the turbo and get a rotor! blah!
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 12:22 am    Post subject: Re: Standard xhaust manifold Vs Xtractors!! Reply with quote

I just put a set of Motivator extractors on my 2 litre today, i also fitted a 2 inch back pipe after the muffler.
I have to say that i'm not exactly thrilled with the result, the engine revs cleaner and seems to pick up slightly better above 3000rpm, but that's it. My system already had a 'turbo' muffler that i had fitted a few months ago.
As far as sound goes, it has a slightly deeper idle and a stronger note when pushed hard to the redline.
My advice is to pay as little as possible for extractors, try to source a second-hand set in good nick, anything under $60 is fine. The dollar per horsepower rule is pretty high, it's a high outlay for little return.
With that said though, extractors are normally better suited to reciprocating mods ie; fit extractors and a Weber, or fit a head deck and decent speakers. It's best to modify associated hardware along with it to reap better performance results.

S N 3 A K Y
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: