HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Fuel Problems - HELP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:34 pm    Post subject: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

I am really begining to run out of patience with the damn thing. The carby is new, alternator is new, fuel pump is working (tested it), whole car was rewired 6months ago (and was running perfectly) and i have tried about 3 different fuel pump relays. Its as if the fuel pump isnt getting any power, it just drains the fuel bowl straight away. What am i leaving out? whats missing?

Nick-
forcd_gem
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

I had that problem too, what carby are you running? i found that with the nikki carb it ran out about 4500-5000rpm but then i added a 32/36 and it hasnt done it since, but yet i keep blowing my fuel pump fuse... Sad
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

Is your fuel filter dry?
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

forcd gem - engine is stock, problem is happening at idle not under acceleration. It starts and runs, but because there is no fuel coming through from the fuel pump it just shuts itself down.

Hop a long - i dont think its related to the fuel filter. if it was a blocked fuel filter, the car wouldnt be gravity feeding overnight (by that i mean the fuel bowl wouldnt fill itself up when the cars left on a hill)

Nick-
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

You dont understand me, when the float dries up does the filter? You gotta keep in mind that the filter is the best source for figuring out a fuel crisis.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

what are your fuel lines like

also you pump may pump enough to the bowl but not enought to keep the car running
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

If your filter is always wet it can only mean a few things, needle and seat, incorrect float adjustment, restriction in lines, leaks, faulty idle stop solenoid and as GROOV3 stated. Do a fuel pump capacity test test the solenoid, its all easy stuff.
S N 3 A K Y
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Resistor..... Reply with quote

Check your fuel pump resistor, if it's shagged then it has the effect of lowering the voltage to your pump too far, or to the point where it wont send power to the pump at all.
It's a small white ceramic cylindrical part located in the relay housing behind the drivers headlight. It has one wire going through it and back out the other end of it, it's used to reduce voltage to the pump. Depending on which model Gem you have, it shouldn't be to difficult to single out - mine is a TX.
I cut the resistor out, added male spade connectors to the two wire ends, then used an old peice of wire about 3 inches long with female connectors on the ends and reconnected it to the male spades. This will give you a full 12 volts to the pump. Be sure to insulate the connectors with electrical tape to stop any earthing on the relay housing.
Basically, bypass the resistor and see what happens. It's worth a shot, and if it doesn't work at least you know you are getting a full 12 volts to the pump.

S N 3 A K Y
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

By fuel pump capacity test you mean bridging the black/yellow and black/red wires where they go into the relay? done that, it seemed to fill up the carby VERY quickly, so i think thats ok.

When you say the filter is "dry", do you mean there is no fuel in it?

Also, checked the idle stop solenoid by connecting it to the battery and it seemed to click over ok.

Thanks for the help so far...
Nick-
GeminiCoupe
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Resistor..... Reply with quote

I know exactly what your talking about, ill give it ago tomorow. Wouldnt a constant 12v to the pump eventually fuck it? Im hopeless with wiring

Cheers
Nick-
Green Potato
rice boy

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Resistor..... Reply with quote

What effect has this had on your fuel pump life if any?
from memory the stock pump is rated at 7.5 volts
Cheers
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Fuel Pump Resistor..... Reply with quote

I've been running full 12v to my electric gemini pumps for about 5 years, with absolutely no dramas.

Ben
fazz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 02, 2003 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Fuel Problems - HELP Reply with quote

check that you have not got the fuel lines around the rong way to the carby
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: