HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Piazza LSD Diffs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pentti

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:44 pm    Post subject: Piazza LSD Diffs Reply with quote

I frequently see in magazines that many rally and hot Geminis have a Piazza LSD fitted.
I understand that only the Piazza Turbos are the ones with LSDs.
Do LSD's occur in ALL Piazza Turbos or only as an optional extra in some ?
Were they fitted to the older torque tube diffs or only the later 5-link axles ?
Is there a fool proof way of telling if an LSD is fitted to a diff ?
I looked at 2 Piazza Turbos (torque tube axles) yesterday and with one wheel jacked clear of the ground, I could easily turn the wheel - is this a reliable way to check for LSD (in this case I assumed that this car had open diff).
Any help and comments appreciated.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD Diffs Reply with quote

spin one wheel and if the opposite one spins the same way its LSD if it spins the opposite its open
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:50 pm    Post subject: What about MY QUESTION - Le GENE? Reply with quote

Well? it's right there underneath this one??
Stock TE
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD Diffs Reply with quote

Yes you could get the older diff with LSD. Not all of them came with LSD but I dont know how too tell by just looking at the car. An easier way to tell if it is an LSD is to jack one side of the car off the ground and spin the wheel, if it gets harder and harder to turn it is LSD.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: What about MY QUESTION - Le GENE? Reply with quote

what?
hod rodder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2003 6:19 pm    Post subject: Re: What about MY QUESTION - Le GENE? Reply with quote

dont be silly geeeeene
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD Diffs Reply with quote

All Australian delivered Piazza's should have LSD and all are 5 link.
It's the option code G80 on the build plate whihc is one way of checking.

A torque tubed Piazza turbo must be an imported one, amazing you found two of them. Can't imagine why anyone would want to import one..
Pentti

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD Diffs Reply with quote

Excellent feed back so far guys, very helpful.
Would anybody happen to know the option code for LSD in torquetube Piazza turbos? This would make the search very simple.
I am in NZ and lots Piazzas imported in the early days of jap imports, so most Piazzas here are probably Jap spec. The 2 cars I looked at were same owner, both with blown motors. One is the Irmscher top spec model which I would have thought would have LSD, but spinning the one wheel as suggested did not become tighter.
May have to go back and see if owner will let me pop the back plate off and have a look !

Are most of the Geminis which have Piazza LSDs converted to 5-link or still torque tube?
Cheers.
Bugle
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 29, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD Diffs Reply with quote

Ah NZ that explains why there are so many torque tube ones around Smile
The G80 option code should be the same for all Piazzas. GOt it off this site
http://www.excite.co.jp/world/url/body?wb_url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.sabitori.com%2Fjreast%2Fdatabase%2Findex.html&wb_lp=JAEN&wb_dis=2
Ofcourse you can't really trust that, coz someone might have killed their diff and only been able to find an open centre. Another possibility could be that its worn out and just needs a rebuild..
Irmschers were supposed to be only 88-89 I think so they'll have 5 link.. Maybe they just put irmscher stickers on it.
Nah Geminis with Piazza LSD's seem to have the Piazza centre put into a diesel gemini housing.
Pentti

PostPosted: Mon Dec 01, 2003 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: Piazza LSD Diffs Reply with quote

The Piazza Database site is amazing - full of mind boggling trivia for real anoraks !
Will go back and look at the 2 Piazza Turbos and see what they have on plates. And maybe persuade the owner to let me pop the back covers and look inside diffs. He just wants to get rid of the 2 cars, but price is a bit unrealistic, sure to be negotiable.

Are parts still available to rebuild the Piazza LSD's ?

Thanks again for the info
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: