HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 12:00 pm    Post subject: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

iv got a 42mm ?? side draft on the wagon (mild g200) and its a real bitch to start, iv been told cos theres no chock. bear in mind im compleatly carbi illeterate.

when i started it, i just have to keep winding it over a few times as if i have to warm the engine untill ti will start???

any ideas??

if u use a huge desile ute battery it starts a bit easyer

chers gene
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

yeh, i reckon its no choke. my mates 34adm wont start the engine till the 3rd attempt!
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

takes about 3-4mins of winding, and it flattens the battery like every time nearly
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

Fuck thats not too good at all. I gotta down draft weber and even when it's like 8 degree outside in the morning i just push my foot down once to push some fuel down the manafold and it starts straight away. maybe, just maybe u have a small fuel leak on your carby and it drains out over nite so when u go to start it in the morning the fuel boul is empty and if u have a mechanical fuel pump it'll take a while to fill the fuel boul back up? otherwise i dont know. if there was fuel at the carby it should fire straight away...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

once it starts one, it will start stright away every time after while the engine is warm.
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

ild say its the fuel prob the guy said b4 mine has that same prob when its cold its a bitch
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

NAH I DOT THINK IT IS
IT DOES THE SAME THING WITH THE HOLLY, THE SOTCK AND EVEN A vlt ONE
(HAHAgot caps?)
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

The size of the carb will be stamped onto the bottom flange where it joins your manifold. it would say 42DOCE if it has 42mm butterflies.

Your problem is either fuel or spark. If you can hook up another battery, and it starts easier, then that makes me lean towards neither option, because it could mean that you mixture is out, and it takes a stronger spark to light it, or it could mean that your voltage is low, and needs more volts to spark properly. If it was an ignition problem relating to low voltage, then the addition of the extra battery should make it start much easier, not just a bit.

Which gets me back to fuel, an easy way to check if its fuel supply is to pull the little top cover off when the engine is cold and you have left it overnight for example. Check if fuel is in there. if not, then that may be your problem. try pouring some fuel in, and then try to start it, if carb is tuned right, should start very easily after a few pumps of acc pump.

If it is full of fuel still after leaving overnight, then it could be your mixtures. Maybe its too lean whilst trying to crank cold, maybe too rich, have you tried using the choke (which is just fuel enrichment)?? If not, give that a go, that will give a richer mixture for cranking and for the warm up period.

Did you change anything in the ignition department since the last time that the engine would start easily with your last carb? LIke did you change timing, different plugs, points, leads, etc.?? If you didn't change anything, then that means its the carby, and that means its fuel.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

its always done this, ever since i had the car.

theres a choke on it?? not that i know of...

once i get it started once it will start in lest then a second any time after that till the engine cools back down, then it happens all over again.

the battery has to be really charged for it to start... would leaving it sit alot cause it (ie, i gets started once every 2 months LOL)
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

With my twin Dellortos (no choke), I pump the accelerator about 6-8 times before kicking it over and it fires pretty quick. needs nursing for 5-10 secs.
Cheers
Michael
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: hey gene Reply with quote

if you get the shits so much rip it off ill give you a niki carb and man and ill buy that one off you problem solverd
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 22, 2003 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: hey gene Reply with quote

nah i have 3 good webbers this one i want Razz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: hey gene Reply with quote

any side droufts (im pissed) need 2 4 a redline manofold
jimbob03
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 12:04 am    Post subject: Re: hey gene Reply with quote

ne that you want 2 sell or swap 4 cheep that whould fit a standard man or what i said b4
Poida
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2003 3:46 am    Post subject: Re: side draft/starting/fucked/losing patiance :D Reply with quote

A 42DCOE??? They don't have a choke like a Stromberg or Holley do. They have an enrichment circuit. The only choke DCOE carbs have is a choke tube that slips into the throat of the carb as a venturi reducer.
If it's missing THAT choke it wouldn't run well if it ran at all.
Are you running ram tubes?? Are they matched to the setup or just what came with the carby? Change a component ie exhaust headers and you'll be needing to retune the whole setup including probably the ram tubes.
Webers are a beast all unto themselves.

(The views I present are my own and NOT necessarily of the administrators or other members of this site.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: