HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

amp wiring probs
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DR_GEM
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2003 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: amp wiring probs Reply with quote

ok, i think a few people are confusing nominal resistance of the driver to the actual impedance load it effectuates on to a circuit......
but in response to the question and to your statement that "its a sack of shit" - i have the exact same amp ur talking bout running a cheap setup in my getaround car for now (colt). Let me tell u its not a sack of shit. As ive told a couple of ppl earlier, i surprise a lot of guys with my one 12 cerwin vega running of the 3+4 channels (which btw are the channels on that amp accomodating a lpf.
The manner in which u have wired the drivers at the moment is giving the amp a nominal impedance of 2 ohms - whilst the amp is 2 ohm stable, in bridged configuration, it requires a minimum of 4 ohm nominal impedance. Thus your configuration is overloading the amp and given the reputation of boss amps for wear\tear factor - its not a good idea

Best thing to do, get urself another pair of 4 ohm subs - run them separately to each channel (ie one to channel 3 and one to channel 4), then run the current subs in parallel with each sub that you have just connected. This means you have a 2 ohm circuit on channels 3+4, which according to the manual that i have here (dodgy) would give you a rated power of 200w rms per channel (so 100w rms for each sub)
note that this isnt the same as just running the two subs individually of each separate channels (this would also give 100w rms to each) - because you have two extra subs with exactly double the power (not taking into account the sensitivity rating etc)

the subs ur using btw are shit.....my mate has a pair that he eventually put in his room coz they produce what i call "paper bass" (sound of a piece of paper flapping) that may explain your lack of satisfaction.

dont chop me for the long post, i like detail

good luck
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: