HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Block back and buff

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cuz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Block back and buff Reply with quote

Just wondering how much this will cost. Got my care done in acrylic and the clear needs to be blocked and buffed, polished etc. Is this easy enough to do myself or should i pay a pro? What's it worth?
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Block back and buff Reply with quote

u could cut (block) it yourself, but i would recommend a pro to buff and polish it
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Block back and buff Reply with quote

What do you think it is worth. Take it to an actaul panel beater or one of those detailing places
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Block back and buff Reply with quote

detailing place
i use to pay $100 each time. use to get it done every 6 or so months
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Block back and buff Reply with quote

I reckon get the whole thing done by a crash shop mate, and someone reputable at that - that has experience with acrylic. Way softer than 2k. Rub through one edge and you've stuffed it up.

Get some quotes from decent shops and go from there - unless you have some experience. It also depends on how much clear there is on your car too.

What state?

Cheers
mooch
TURBOY
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2003 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Block back and buff Reply with quote

cuting is not blocking. cuting is bufing with cutters like fracler or etc blocking is blocking i done that on a bmw all over block and buff takes around 3 to 4 hours i charge $250 for a spotles job
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:06 am    Post subject: Re: Block back and buff Reply with quote

It can be done youself if you take some care.

My advice would be not to use a fine rubbing compound alone. Instead use a very fine compound with a carnauba wax. Great stuff and provides a brilliant shine. Its very fine so easier to rub and less harshe on the paint so it won't rub through as quick.
TGemi1
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: Block back and buff Reply with quote

nah blocking is rubbing the panel with wet and dry 200grit paper, ask any1 that. Also will take a little longer then 4 hours. once done, u rubb in buffing machine compound and buff it with a buffer, u shouldn't wax ya paint job atleast a month after it's been sprayed because that silicone in the wax fucks the paint up.

chris...
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 10:41 am    Post subject: WTF?????????????????????? Reply with quote

u cut and polish your car with 200grit wet and dry?!?!? LOL

i dont even sand my car down with 200grit...
200 with seriously FUCK your cars paint.

use 1500grit at least
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: WTF?????????????????????? Reply with quote

think he meant 2000grit?!?!?! if not i think he wants to take his paint off lol.
Gene FJ20DET
hod rodder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2003 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: WTF?????????????????????? Reply with quote

lets just hope?
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2003 1:02 am    Post subject: Re: WTF?????????????????????? Reply with quote

haha typing error yeh 2000grit, haha 200, soryy

chris...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: