HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

polishing aluminium

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GEMSTROKA
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:13 pm    Post subject: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

hey again,
I was wondering what was the best way to polish an aluminium oil catch can and aluminium radiator overflow bottle. The aluminium sheet metal is all pretty new stuff so there is no bad marks on it except for where the tig welding was done.
Thanks Gemstroka
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:18 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

if u wanna give it a high maitenance shine, get yourself some mag wheel polish and some fine grade (ooo+) steel wool and get scrubbing, or you can get these plastic bristled blades that ya shove on the end of ya drill. the drill one seems to be the more popular option, only because Australia has too many lazy fuckers in it.
hope it helps
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

at work we have polishers that do just that all day. Polish alloy and s/s. Best way is to start with about 400 grit then 800 and then 1200 and then polish it with mothers unless u have a buff then use that and wax
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

yeah! that mothers polish does a fucking awesome job!!!
GEMSTROKA
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:35 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

sweet, thanks fellas, one more thing, what can i use to coat the newly polished aluminium in to make it easier to clean and resistant to most dirt and crap?
cheers
GEMTEC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

Josh should be able to help ya with that but from what i reckon, you should be right if u juz use the polish. it should be able to keep protecting itself. it will gradually get duller and duller, but that is when ya give it another scrub with the steel wool and Mothers polish.
Josh
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

ahaha thats why people use stainless steel dood coz it doesnt oxidize as quick as aluminium. umm mothers will protect it a fair bit and so will wax. U could also polsih it to your standard and put some clear over the top to stop the environment getting to it
GEMSTROKA
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

thanks again fellas, until next time keep up the good work.
cheers
ONLYA4
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: polishing aluminium Reply with quote

I know the topic is over, but I'll tell you something i used that worked an absolute treat. Theres this stuff, it comes in a bar and its pretty hard, i can find out the name if you want, and you get a grinder and put a buffing wheel on it. Then you turn it on and hold the bar of soap stuff up on it until it coats the buffing wheel and then use the wheel to buff up your alluminium, works an absolute treat. Only thing is you have to use steel wool to clean it up first to try to get out all the small scratches but sometimes steel wool can scratch it up worse than that.
Hope that helped somewhat.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: