HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

ATTN: all owners of G200/G180's

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:02 pm    Post subject: ATTN: all owners of G200/G180's Reply with quote

hi guys, i've had 3 leaks in my stocko engine, i've got a fourth so i'm gonna use that as incentive to upgrade the donk.

for now, i just wanna bolt it in, no mods, just new rings, seals and all that shit. later on down the track i wanna turbo it, so what is the better donk to grab.

i heard the 180 revs more than the 200, which i think would be good for turboing? so with the 180, if i bored it to 2 litres, and turboed it, would it have roughly the same power as the 200, add the turbo ponies, or am i way of track.

i'll put my 161 head on the 18 if i get it, so thats sweet. also, whats do i need to drop it in barr the engine stands and all that. any adaptors or anything? just whatever you needed to get the little bastard in and working.

i'mn at tafe doing mechanics, so i have access to a dyno, so thats all sweet

thanks fuckin stacks for your help, i'm lookin to do the conversion in the net few weeks

Andrew
Soop
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: all owners of G200/G180's Reply with quote

Yeh go the g180, bore it out and fit 2L pistons and crank and you have 2L capacity.

The advantage to using the 1800 is that the 1600 head fits on much nicer.
Te_Andrew_GC
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2003 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: all owners of G200/G180's Reply with quote

i was leaning 180, cheaper as well
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:11 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: all owners of G200/G180's Reply with quote

becareful when boring a 1800 to a 2L mke sure you ahve a good radiator and a thermostat and some fans she will get hot and very qwickly. when runnign it in dont let her idle for to long or she will over heat i have found this out on mine from running a straight 30W oil but going to a 20-50w oil she is fine but still a bit hot buit whebn she is moving hse stays coool
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 3:34 am    Post subject: Re: ATTN: all owners of G200/G180's Reply with quote

It's not a 'conversion' as such, it's bassicaly a bolt in deal. The only mods (if they can be classified as mods) i had to do, was put a new connector on the end of the wires going to the alternator. Everything else will bolt in easily, no custom or modified parts/adaptors needed. Same engine mounts, crossmembers, intake/exhaust manifolds, starter motor, gearbox bellhousing pattern, absolutely everything bolts in.
If you take the original engine out, then anstallation of the new G180 or G200 is easier to bolt in, coz u know where everything came from and goes.
Yeah, if you did bore the 1800 to 2 litre specs, you'd roughly have the same power as the 2 litre, but it 'may' be a little temperature tempramental. But that can be overcome with thermo fans and good tuning.
All u need to "get the little bastard in and working" is petty & oil - thats it.
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2003 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ATTN: all owners of G200/G180's Reply with quote

good luck getting one....

however,

you may need to change the sump for a 161 item, depending on the original g200 powered vehicle. then use the 161 mounts and brackets....then can use all gem stocko parts for bolt-ons.

then use a ra40 celica radiator...the bolt into the gems, and the hoses are in the right spots.

that what im using.

also rip out the thermostat....itll help some.

cheers,

rob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: