HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

power loss and Gearbox queries

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SirGem

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 7:14 pm    Post subject: power loss and Gearbox queries Reply with quote

gday just wanted to ask a few questions...
i own a 1981 TE Gemini SL Sedan.
firstly, whilst the car is running and i switch on various electrical components (such as radio, windscreen wipers, lights) there seems to be a loss of electrical power. this is quite evident when the indicator is switched on. what seems to happen is the indicator light will flash as it should, and then it gradually slows down to the point where it stops flashing and it will either stay on or stay off. i have to keep switching it on and off for it to flash properly.

secondly, the car currently has a bog 3 speed auto which i think is on its way out (probably because of the way i treat it). i was just wondering if it is possible to convert the auto to a manual. if it is possible, which manual 'box would you reccomend? the 4 speed or the 5 speed. what would need to be done to convert the gearbox also.

thanks for your time,

SirGem

p.s. great site.
Cammo79TE
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2003 11:37 pm    Post subject: Re: power loss and Gearbox queries Reply with quote

"firstly, whilst the car is running and i switch on various electrical components (such as radio, windscreen wipers, lights) there seems to be a loss of electrical power. this is quite evident when the indicator is switched on"

alternator?
SirGem

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 1:24 am    Post subject: Re: power loss and Gearbox queries Reply with quote

roughly how much would a decent altenator cost?
Pervert
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: power loss and Gearbox queries Reply with quote

Ur electrical problem seems a bit weird to me, if it's ur alternator then do u have to jump start your car all the time? Try replacing that if it's still the same then u obviously got a more serious problem. Alternators shouldn't cost to much if ya find a guy/girl on here thats got one for sale.
Your gearbox, well if you want to change the a manual first of all u'll need to get the box, i recomend a 5 speed, but 4 speeds are also good if u want to no more info on that just do a search on it. To do the conversion u'll need the clutch petals box set up probably get that of a donor car with clutch cable.
Think thats pretty much it, ofcourse u mite have to take ya engine out to do this seeing as you'll need to put a new clutch kit in. And the box mount i'm not too sure about but i'm guessin they should be the same.
Hope this helps
steve.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: power loss and Gearbox queries Reply with quote

$80 from sprints brand new when you bring the old one in
the price will vary but thats what i paid
Pavlos
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2003 10:44 pm    Post subject: Re: power loss and Gearbox queries Reply with quote

I have an electrical problem exactly the same and I suspect it might be the voltage regulator. You could try changing that.

Pavlos.
GEMINI_MILITIA
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: power loss and Gearbox queries Reply with quote

i had the same electrical drain check ur connections at the battery to make sure there secure and for ur lights check ur earths mine were doin the same thing b4 i did that now there workin great well try that b4 buyin a new alternator
militia out
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: