HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

cough n splutter

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fat_82x
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:27 pm    Post subject: cough n splutter Reply with quote

my gems stuttering n spluttering, sounds like its miss firing... i checked as much as i could n everythings seems fine... the only thing i can think of is water in the carby cause its been hell wet latley... any help will be much appreciated
Orange Gem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

my tf tf does the same thing and i was told it was my clutch and then my sparkies but i dont know what to do so id love a bit of advise cheers
TGCOUPgirl
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

our daily driver is doing this - if you have had the timing done and it keeps happening then change the points and do timing again
Wagonslut
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

ive had this problem before, it can happen wen u get water on ur air cleaner element, or if u have a ramflo air filter, or, another thing, moisture inside ur dizzy, take ur cap off and wipe inside the dizzy and cap with a dry rag.
fat_82x
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:04 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

mm i got new sparks n leads... last time it was my carbi, that was when it was well n truely fuct...
keeps dieing like its starving for fuel... strange
rob_w
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

check the low tension lead on the dizzy, and check your coil, to see if its arcing.

does it sound like its missing like a barstard, or just dying completely.

missing sounds electrical.

rob.
fat_82x
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

it stutters heaps when accelerate... i had this prob before and just leaving it running for 10 mins cleaned it out

could it be oil filter cause thats lookin pretty nasty
TGCOUPgirl
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 3:22 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

shouldnt be oil filter. elec/ignition or fuel problem i reckon
TURBO TF
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

check the breaker point gap, if its to close together it wil cough and splatter, also change spark plugs, also fuel filter, when that is full of crap it will cause the car to cough and fart like a bitch!!
rod
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

wat id do in your situation is...

change the spark plugs.(if nessersary) but id put new 1's in anyway
Change ignition coil (if nessersary)
Change points in distibutor cap.(if nessersary) id also put a new 1 in anyway
clean up all terminals in the distributor cap with emory paper. (for sure)
make sure the spark plug leads are all fitting nice and tight. (for sure)
get it timed for free at any autoelctrician (for sure)

this should make a difference
fat_82x
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 7:27 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

how do i change the points on the distibutor cap? everyones telling me its that... and the timing? do most people do it for free... everyone round here is tryin to charge me
TGCOUPgirl
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

What do you expect???
To do points you need a good timing light and possibly a dwell meter. Its not as easy as changing plugs and stuff so i would leave it to someone who knows what they are doing especially cos you can fuck around with the timing and have the car worse than before. Also make sure you find out the correct gaps for the points cos unlike plugs they are not pre-gapped and it is not the same gap as plugs.

The points you will need for a standard gem with normal ignition is a GD214 (Bosch)

The gap sizes can be found in the relevant gregorys workshop manual in the front somewhere.

We did our points last night and there was absolutely no gap at all and thats why it was running like a slut. Anyways good luck dude, sounds like u need it.
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 10:20 pm    Post subject: Re: cough n splutter Reply with quote

auto r businesses if say 5 ppl came into ur work and wanted to waste ur time a day u wouldnt want to do it eva
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: