HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Top Speed
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CopBait
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 3:53 pm    Post subject: Top Speed Reply with quote

hey, i have a question for any of u guys...can anyone tell me the top speed they have got out of a stock 1600 gemmi? coz i havent had a chance to test mine out yet coz its not registered, and i was wondering ruffly what she will do..any answers appreciated. cheers
Woz
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

Std. becides racing air filter, 5 speed, 5th gear, very slight downhill elevation, top speed 170kmh. Didnt want to go any faster, my baby was shaking like a leaf Smile. Prolly make 180ish tho...

I was frightened Smile
CuGem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

If you could drop it from high enough, it should make >250km/h. However, it would be a bit like the Russian car designer when questioned about the voracity of rumours that the new Russian motorcar can go 80km/h - his response 'Basically yes, but only once'
Wink
smee
rice boy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

In the 2000 Bega rally on some of their fast shire roads, we saw the speedo approach 180. This was on a slight decline approaching the finish with a long run up to get there. This is obviously not correct, as the speedos are not really calibrated to go that fast. Speed in real terms would have been more like 150-160, but that is still fast enough on a dirt road.
My Gem is a Gemini series Rally car, so you cannot do anything to it.

smee
www.mcmrallysport.com
Benjamin
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2001 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

Set the scenes

TX, 4speed, no swaybars, poorly sealed road with cross winds
165 using 2 lanes

Same TX, 5speed, engine mods, better suspension, better road
180 with a tiny amount to go

My speedo was roughly 5Kmh optimistic. Sh!tscary but lotsa fun, only do it once kinda thing Smile
Danny
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:47 am    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

well ive done 140 in my 5 speed tg that is flat out, foot to the floor will go no faster. good effort huh. it uses about 4 litres of oil a month though.
Pete
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 1:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

I seriously doubt some of theose speeds!! i have had 150@6500 rpm, thats no engine mods and stock gear box, No hill, no wind.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 2:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

had a stock tg up to 160 in 4th, took a while for it to get there though. Theoretically a gem with standard box and diff ratios you should be able to do 180kmh @ 6000rpm (200k@6700rpm) in 5th but i doubt a stock engine will be able to push it that hard.
simon96
rice boy

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

ok, flat road, not too rough, a lane each way and a headwind of enough to move leaves about 600m (i think). i got to almost 120 in fourth before i had to slow down. i have a 32/36 weber but still, in a otherwise stocko td wagon even this was on the skethcy side. i rekon i could have got to 150ish but i don't think i would want to.
FLYINLoW
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 7:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

dunno about u guys in stock 1600's but i know weve hit over 180 in stock g200 thats flat road two laned freeway in 5th gear still pulling hard.
MatMan
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2001 11:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

Seeing as the rings on mine are on the way out and it uses about 4 litres of oil a month, when I hit 140 I didn't really want to risk hurting her by keeping my foot in for too long.
henry
rice boy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 2:01 am    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

My gems got a worked 1.8 (in da gallery) and i got mine up to 170km/h easy still pullin away on a striaght flat road with a few nasty bumps with 4 people in it .. i was a bit freaked , i tell ya what it will get your heart beaten..
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

You sure you got your maths right there? Because with Gerty's old motor (read: James 'Frasertag' Fraser's new motor) I hit 180k/h on a flat road in fourth...

I'll double check the maths... when I get REALLY bored in about an hour.
Fastgem
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

With the stock ratios 4th (1:1) and diff (3.9:1) my calculator reckons you can do it but you engine will be turning 7000rpm (well 7020rpm to be exact).
Simmo
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2001 8:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Top Speed Reply with quote

yeah ive got my 1600 with weber and exhaust up to 155 before but it took ages. My car has some serious aerodynamics problems, however due to mangled bonnet and front guards. Since then i have decided to kill my car, only this morning i got her to do 95km/h in second. What sort of RPM is she doing at this speed. As far as i can tell speedo is spot on.

Cheers, Simmo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: