HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Cooling
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2003 12:30 am    Post subject: Re: Cooling Reply with quote

What are the dimensions of the torana radiator?

Obviously, its 3 core, but what is the height and width of the core itself?

Just curious, as I have a 3 core gemini radiator, and wondering whether a UC 3 core will be an upgrade due to larger core area?

Ben Wight
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ben... Reply with quote

I see your point, but don't most engines have a bypass so that when the thermostat is closed, the water pump is not just cavitating water? It's still going to have some water circulation and the more water there is to heat up, the longer it takes. The difference of a few litres to the time it takes is probably negligible, but makes for an interesting discussion. Surprised)

Cheers.

btw, sold many carbs yet?
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben... Reply with quote

I understand what you are saying about caviataion, but I always thought that if the water pump cant draw water from the radiator, (which it cant do if the thermostat is closed), then it will simply recirculate the water in the engine, and heat it up. Hence radiator capacity wouldn't be an issue.

And sold a heap of carbs, but I've still got heaps left. People tend to want 32/36's more than bigger carbs like a 34ADM, so i've only got 2 DGV's left.

Ben
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2003 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ben... Reply with quote

Cavitation of a pump occurs when there is too low a pressure on one side of the pump, usually the inlet. This causes the water to boil and hence cavitation of the pump happens. So as long as there is a constant circuit for the water to flow around, with nothing causing a large pressure drop, then cavitation wont happen.

In a gemini engine when the thermostat is closed the water is pumped up through block, then head, then around the inlet manifold, and if the thermostat is closed then it goes back into the front of the head, back to the pump, and is recirculated, making the radiator a non issue in warming up.

Loz
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> Gemini R&D All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: