HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

Is This Normal

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Aristos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 10:14 pm    Post subject: Is This Normal Reply with quote

hey peoples i need some help. When I start my gemi of a morning it blows out all this black shit and it marks the driveway or the street.The guy at the servo told me that this is normal for gemis but i dont know. The car's got 2 1/2 sports exhaust going through into a dump.Please someone tell me if this is normal and if not what can i do to fix the problem. thanks heaps.
p.s the website's awesome keep up the good work.
TXcoupe
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

tiss just blowing carbon out the back....
Aristos

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

so its alright then
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2001 11:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

the bloke at the servo was right mate, it's normal for a gemini.... every gem i know or have owned has puffed the black cheese when its cold.....
you've got nothing to worry about....
Aristos

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

great,thanks for the help i appreciate it
Ben Wight
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

I think the water buildup (what your exhasut actually spits out) is caused from cold night air condensing in your hot exhasut pipe. The reason it comes out black might be becasue you are running slightly rich.
Adam
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

Mine doesn't... although that probably has more to do with the fact the choke doesn't work.
JFK
tinkerer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

u can get rid of the carbon off the tops of ur pistons by dripping water through your carby whilst holding it at revs but if u pore ity inh you are like to bend a rod so u have to drip it in and it will tear it off
TX III
petrol head

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2001 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

not game enough to do that!!!!

maybe coz of running a bit rich down low for too long?
i had my car dyno'd and the air/fuel thing said it was running rich on idle, then as you put the foot down it leans out a bit... that could be the reason for the carbon build up...
but hey, most gemi's do run rich on idle....
IDAREU2
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2001 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

I found my car did it when I changed to unleaded fuel and no its not a problem
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2001 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

Basically, it's soot (carbon) mixed with moisture that's made it's way up the exhaust pipe over night.

You'll probably find it doesn't do it in summer, and that if you left the car for 10 years without starting it, the moisture would rust your exhaust out.

So starting it up and blowing out the moisture is good! It just takes some crap with it. Also good!

So it's good it does that!

By the way, my panelvan has a side-pipe, so mine spits the soot onto the car next to me - hooray!
Gemmy
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2001 2:17 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

hmmmmmm the side pipe sounds like a good idea .. i reckon black shit would look good on the naighbours hotted up yellow laser !
yahhhhhhh
Dave
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2001 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

Sidepipes are only legal on commercial vehicles, so your Gemini had better be a van or the Johnnies might not like it and try to issue you with a canary.

Which would suck. But I haven't been pulled over about it yet, and I've had it over 6 months. It's not that loud, but, because it does have a muffler on it.
Mystikal

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2003 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Is This Normal Reply with quote

how bad is the smoke cause i do have an 2 and a quarter system u need to adjust your air to fule mixture that will fix it if its black it tells that too much petrol is burining but on my gemini it runs on unleded so i would think its different to super
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> The Old Forum All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: