HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

what is this part called??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOPSI
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:26 am    Post subject: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

i seem to have stuffed my speedo. After closer inspection it was the part at the end of the speedo cable that goes into the gearbox. The plastic gear was all chewed up. Is this part called a transducer or something? where can i get one of them? do i need to buy the whole cable?

my cars undriveable! Merry Christmas to me! Sad
NOPSI
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

and is there any diffrence between the 4 speed version and the 5 speed version? i can get my hands on the 4 speed version from a mates gemini thats just sitting there. I have a 5 speed.
urinalcake
tinkerer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

yeah there is. if you put a 4 speed one into a 5 speed the speedo reads about 10k's out... and id say vise versa
NOPSI
rice boy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

will it do any damage if i simply hack the plastic cog off the accelerator cable and put it back in so i can still drive it using the tacho? i dont want to fuck my gearbox. I just want to use my car and i wont be able to get ahold of a new one for a couple of days because of christmas.
Loz
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

Are you sure they are different?
I put a 4 spd one in my five speed and it has the same error with my 17's as with the 4 spd one. The gears have to be the same as the 4spd's and 5spds have the same ratios except for the reverse gear (this is for the TE and TF/TG), I dont know about the TD as I have never had a TD box or manual.
PinkBitz
petrol head

PostPosted: Thu Dec 25, 2003 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

yeh, im sure their the same. :s dont plenty of 5spd conversions, and the cog things look identical. i dunno
Racegem
backyard mechanic

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2003 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

And the speedo drive on the box is on the output shaft, and that spins 1:1 with the tailshaft in either box.

The part is called the speedo gear.
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2003 9:21 pm    Post subject: Re: what is this part called?? Reply with quote

Just wanted to point out the obvious...COUNT THE FUCKING TEETH!!! Easiest way to see if they are the same! But you have to make sure they aren't burnt or grooved in any way. It helps to change the O-rings that sit in the speedo gear itself and the one at the end of the cable. Make sure the drivegear isnt fucked or it will just rip apart another speedo gear.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: