HotGemini.com - Holden Gemini heaven
Home What's New About Help Contact

torque converter for 4l60e

Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
goatman
rice boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: torque converter for 4l60e Reply with quote

My TE ( the infamous "gemzilla" ) is getting a drivetrain transplant for now( to commodore) . I would like to know what would be the best torque converter to replace the standard one on the commmodore gearbox( which is shit)? Thanks Im just in the process of getting parts. Ill get it back on the road first.
GROOV3
petrol head

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter for gemzilla Reply with quote

what is this gemzilla a wrx gemini????
overit
tinkerer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2003 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter for 4l60e Reply with quote

standard gemi torque converter acts as a 2k stalley
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter for 4l60e Reply with quote

Are you talking about the Trimatic (TH180C) or the TH700 or TH700E? Either way, theres nothing wrong with those converters so I don't know where you get your info. If its the trimatic, get the convertr out of a gemini tri becaust it will give you a near 2k stall but send the converter off to Swans Transmission Parts if you are in adelaide and ask for it to be made "heavy duty" and beefed up a bit to cope with the larger motor. If its the TH700's get the stall out of a 6cyl same show as above. I reccomment 2-2500 stall.
goatman
rice boy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 12, 2003 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: torque converter for 4l60e Reply with quote

TH700. Id rather eat shit than use trau-matic. Im just making it normal RWD for now, ill do it up as time permits. I just thought that a commodore torque converter wouldnt be the best for the geminis lighter weight.
DrIFtA
tinkerer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Re: 'Trau-Matic' Reply with quote

If and when built properly, a 'trau-matic' will outlast and outperform a TH700 any day any time and any race at a drag-strip. They have a huge availability of parts, are light compared to other boxes, and can be made to handle obscene amounts of tyre frying drifting torque. Alot of racers choose this box if they dont go the 'Power-glide' route.
The choice is obviously yours, but i just have to point out that the Tri when beefed to V8 specs would work out to be alot cheaper, be just as effective, wont require tunnel mods, and have more hypo after-market bits available.
But like i said, the choice is yours.
HOP_A_LONG
tinkerer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 15, 2003 2:03 am    Post subject: Re: 'Trau-Matic' Reply with quote

Amen!!! Not to mention a LOT less time wasted on gear changes. I personally know that AUTO PARTS SALVAGE in lonsdale, S.A. have a sweet tri with an awesome valve body shifter in it. Its in my old torry. I also only used LE Oil in it too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    hotgemini.com Forum Index -> General Gemini Chat All times are GMT + 10 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: